Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Weird restarts

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2012 11:41:48 AM

I suspect my problem might be due to my Motherboard, but I shall explain. I keep getting random video output stops and after that the audio frezes and I am forced to manually reboot. What could this be?

PS: After every restart my CMOS seems to go back to it's default values.

More about : weird restarts

a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 4, 2012 2:23:05 AM

First be sure you have a fresh CMOS battery.
Does this happen when playing games mainly? Have you cleaned the system lately of registry errors, resource wasting crap, and junk files? If not, run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. That's where I would start...
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
August 4, 2012 4:55:08 AM

Yes, mainly when playing games. And I don't believe it to be registry related, due to it happening also on Linux.

But I do often run CCleaner when needed to clear all that junk.
Related resources
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 4, 2012 2:38:19 PM

Ah. That does appear to sound like a hardware related issue if it happens in both O/Ss. Are you using integrated video or a discrete card? If integrated, do you have a discrete card you could use as a test? If so, install the card, connect the video output to it and reboot. Either let the O/S find a driver or install the latest from the card's website.
August 4, 2012 2:44:19 PM

If you want, I could give you my specs, and to all this, I have both integrated and non-integrated video cards. I normally use the non-integrated one
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 4, 2012 2:55:06 PM

I was trying to ascertain whether the issue was related to the graphic subsytem. If the problem goes away with a discrete card, it points to the integrated video. If the problem remains, it points to the motherboard. Unfortunately, because the integrated is probably a chip on the board, the result is the same. The board.

Specs would definitly help someone here to troubleshoot better, yes.
August 4, 2012 3:15:51 PM

MoBo: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Video Card: Gigabyte HD6850
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 265
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4GB 2x2
HDD: Caviar Green 1.5TB 64Mb
August 4, 2012 10:28:33 PM

Sorry for bumping, but I can't edit the above post.

I'm starting to think after researching a bit, it might be my heatsync, it's the default for AMD.

I've read stuff about the "new CPU installed" after each restart (part of the CMOS restoring it's values) to be due to the pressure on the actual CPU by the HS.
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 5, 2012 2:07:11 AM

I've not heard that one. But you might try removing the HS/F and the processor, cleaning the old TIM from the surfaces and replacing with new. While the processor is out you could check for bent pins or visible damage to the socket.
Have you tried removing the CMOS battery, shorting the CLR CMOS pins for a few seconds to restore the BIOS settings to default? I know you said the machine seemed to be doing this on its own, but I would give that a try anyway. And be sure the battery isn't dying.

Btw, did you miss-type and mean 'Phenom II X4 965' not 265?
August 5, 2012 8:21:17 AM

Yes, I did miss-type, when I saw it I couldn't edit it.

On monday I'll go to buy a new CMOS battery, and do the tests, I'll be back with the news.

Thank you.
August 16, 2012 9:21:29 PM

Ok, back with news, changed CMOS battery, reseated CPU and reinstalled windows. That took away the new CPU installed at every restart and the BIOS resets, although it still restarts, but after formatting it has took 3 days to restart.
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 12:48:14 AM

When you had the battery out, did you remember to reset the BIOS to default? Use the CLRTC jumper on the board to short the pins for a few seconds w/battery out. You'll have to reset any changes you had made in BIOS because it will be back at default. But before you do, test if the issue is still present.
August 17, 2012 1:21:59 AM

Yes, I used the CLRTC jumper, and then also reinstalled windows, after that, 3 days later (today) it happened again. First time it happened today it said "Overclocking failed", to my astonishment when I'm not over clocking, and I made sure that all switches for OS on the motherboard are on Off (default) position

PS: Also found some other guy with the same problem, to which he gets no answer, forum is in spanish, he basically describes the same problem as mine, with the same MoBo but a better CPU. (Looks like the same RAM)
August 17, 2012 1:28:31 AM

Already flashed BIOS to last version. :/ 

But if flashed it before all the fixes to the BIOS reset.
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 1:29:00 AM

It's beginning to appear that you have a faulty motherboard. Or at least the BIOS chip. One other possibility might be that the BIOS needs re-flashing. Possibly to the latest version. That would be the next thing I would try.
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 1:51:16 AM

The "overclocking failed" msg appears when one takes the system beyond its capabilities (voltage, timings, etc). That usually means it resets itself to BIOS default so you can gain control of the PC again. If your system is in stock, default state... it appears the board thinks some parameter is out of range. That could mean something really is out of range or the BIOS just thinks it is. It's hard to diagnose from afar, but all indications so far point to the motherboard being the problem.
August 17, 2012 1:57:18 AM

If it where, how do I go about contacting ASUS (My MoBo still isn't 2 years old) and what would they want in the case I have to sent it back?
a c 1191 V Motherboard
a c 298 Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2012 2:16:49 AM

I've never had to contact a manufacturer for assistance, so I'm not sure. Most of my failed components were when new, so I was always able to deal with the retailer. But I would start with the webpage for your board: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TDV_EVOUS...
Maybe try the 'Services/Support' link and see if you can find a way to contact them.
August 17, 2012 2:59:38 AM

Ok, will do tomorrow, it's 5 AM and this has kept me awake too long, I'll get back with updates soon. Thank you so much.