Sign in with
Your question

Updrade GPU to GTX 550 TI on an Advent Centurion CPD1303?

Last response: in Components
October 31, 2011 8:47:28 AM

Ok, so basically I want to upgrade this PC as best as possible without going over the top - I don't want to do any overclocking and I don't want to change the PSU if at all possible. I have already upgraded the CPU and switched the O/S onto a SSD.
I want to upgrade the GPU to an Nvidia which can handle 3d as the new 3dTV software looks cool and I will probably add a 3D TV at some time in the future. The best option looks like the GTX 550 TI (though I have no idea which brand I would pick) as it seems to use less power and uses 1 PCIE power cable (6 pin) which is available on my PSU.

Here is my PCs spec:

PC: Advent Centurion CPD1303
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 850 (original CPU AMD Phenom II X2 545)
Motherboard: Foxconn A7VMX-K
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5550 512MB DDR3 (I believe it is Powercolor)
RAM: 4GB - 2 x 2GB DDR2 400mhz (max RAM supported By Board)
PCIe: Asaka usb 3.0 card (3 external, 1 internal) molex powered
PCI 1: Belkin wireless n card
PCI 2: Not Used (yet)
DVD Drive: DVD RW Connected via IDE (using powered Sata adaptor)
Disk 1: 60GB Samsung 470 series SSD
Disk 2: 500GB WD (WDC WD5000AAKS-22V1A0)
Disk 3&4: Not used (yet)
PSU: 405Watt, Make - CWT, Model - PUFP405P
Fans: the CPU heat sink fan and 2x 120mm case fans.

I think the main upgrade limitation on the system now is the low PSU but I haven't a clue when it comes to power supplies.

Other things I may add in the future are:
1) an external Blu ray burner (looks to much hard work to swop out the original) which I guess would mean I could disconnect the internal one if needed. I haven't looked into it so I'm not sure if it would be external or USB 3.0 powered.
2) additional hard disks, probably a high capacity low power one with a possibly a second for backup. I guess these could be external if needed or 2.5" laptop ones as I have spare brackets to fit them.
3) another PCI card - I have no idea what, but it would be nice to still have the option (perhaps a sound card in the future)
The GTX 550 TI looks the best option I have seen as it ticks all the boxes and I'd like to make something like this work with my PSU.

Can anyone give any advice as to whether the GTX 550 TI will work in my system as it is? and if it does any likely knock on effects for the future (eg could I still add more hard discs, PCI card etc or do I need to unplug components!).
Also are there any better GPU options for my system or an alternative if the GTX 550 TI won't work? And if I did go for a GTX 550 TI which make would be best?

Many thanks for any help.

Here's a pic of the PSU if it helps:
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 7:46:20 PM

Well if you had a quality PSU then it would be no problem to run the 550ti. I suspect you will still be fine but CWT is an unknown brand to me. Yes you should be able to still add more disc's and a pci card as even loaded the 550TI system would only be pulling about 250w (brand dependant)
November 7, 2011 7:19:57 AM

popatim said:
Well if you had a quality PSU then it would be no problem to run the 550ti. I suspect you will still be fine but CWT is an unknown brand to me. Yes you should be able to still add more disc's and a pci card as even loaded the 550TI system would only be pulling about 250w (brand dependant)

Thanks for your reply.

I think I will give it a go. I will probably wait until prices come down or a low power version is released.
!