Sign in with
Your question
Closed

RAM disk questions

Last response: in Memory
July 29, 2012 2:06:24 PM

Overall i'd say it's a good technology, though you need to have a fairly large chunk of memory for it to really be viable for a lot of people.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 2:40:45 PM

I use it every day : )

What is RAMDisk?

RAMDisk is a program that takes a portion of your system memory and uses it as a disk drive.

Sounds simple? In concept yes, but in practice there are many tricky issues to deal with when operating a RAMDisk in Windows. We continue to work hard to make RAMDisk as easy as possible to use, but there is always room for improvement. We provide updates regularly to improve features and address customer requests. Please be sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (this document) before you try the various RAMDisk settings.

How does it work?

RAMDisk is a kernel-level driver that presents a standard disk drive to the OS, however, it stores and retrieves data from the system RAM on your motherboard instead of an actual, physical disk. Along with the Kernel Driver is a GUI that talks to the driver and allows the user to set various options as well as start and stop the Driver (create or delete a RAMDisk).

The Driver has been written to WDM standards and creates a low-level disk object that Windows Device Manager and Disk Management are able to "see" and manage. You can partition, format, mount a volume, and assign multiple drive letters to RAMDisk (but only if you would know how to do those things with a regular disk, RAMDisk does not do it for you).

Upon successful Start of the RAMDisk, a kernel level driver (RAMDisk.sys) is loaded into the Windows/System32/drivers folder. This driver will be available to Windows each time RAMDisk starts. It is removed when RAMDisk is stopped.

What is the benefit?

In a word: SPEED!

Most users use RAMDisk to speed up applications like:
Browsers cache
RAM Cache for the HDD or SSD
Photoshop (scratch disk)
Databases
Internet Explorer cache for faster web surfing
Audio and Video editing
CAD programs
Software compilers
Speeding up CD duplication
Games
SETI processing
TEMP files
Swap space
Web server cache
Custom applications with high I/O, high bandwidth, or high security requirements

When I transfer 2GB file from the RAMdisc to my 2TB HDD it starts high around 1.2GB/s the transfer speed.

Than it goes down of course, but it takes -> one, two done!
-------
The clock frequency generator controls the clock frequency. Depending on the CPU, the generator might be on the mainboard or built into the CPU itself.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 2:44:52 PM

My numbers.

Score
July 29, 2012 3:09:19 PM

CDdude55 said:
Overall i'd say it's a good technology, though you need to have a fairly large chunk of memory for it to really be viable for a lot of people.

ok, i think imma try this...but can this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with 32 GB of it works?
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 3:11:33 PM

Whats your CPU?

Mobo?

And OS? X 64bit? Pro version?
Score
July 29, 2012 3:12:46 PM

nikorr said:
I use it every day : )

What is RAMDisk?

RAMDisk is a program that takes a portion of your system memory and uses it as a disk drive.

Sounds simple? In concept yes, but in practice there are many tricky issues to deal with when operating a RAMDisk in Windows. We continue to work hard to make RAMDisk as easy as possible to use, but there is always room for improvement. We provide updates regularly to improve features and address customer requests. Please be sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (this document) before you try the various RAMDisk settings.

How does it work?

RAMDisk is a kernel-level driver that presents a standard disk drive to the OS, however, it stores and retrieves data from the system RAM on your motherboard instead of an actual, physical disk. Along with the Kernel Driver is a GUI that talks to the driver and allows the user to set various options as well as start and stop the Driver (create or delete a RAMDisk).

The Driver has been written to WDM standards and creates a low-level disk object that Windows Device Manager and Disk Management are able to "see" and manage. You can partition, format, mount a volume, and assign multiple drive letters to RAMDisk (but only if you would know how to do those things with a regular disk, RAMDisk does not do it for you).

Upon successful Start of the RAMDisk, a kernel level driver (RAMDisk.sys) is loaded into the Windows/System32/drivers folder. This driver will be available to Windows each time RAMDisk starts. It is removed when RAMDisk is stopped.

What is the benefit?

In a word: SPEED!

Most users use RAMDisk to speed up applications like:
Browsers cache
RAM Cache for the HDD or SSD
Photoshop (scratch disk)
Databases
Internet Explorer cache for faster web surfing
Audio and Video editing
CAD programs
Software compilers
Speeding up CD duplication
Games
SETI processing
TEMP files
Swap space
Web server cache
Custom applications with high I/O, high bandwidth, or high security requirements

When I transfer 2GB file from the RAMdisc to my 2TB HDD it starts high around 1.2GB/s the transfer speed.

Than it goes down of course, but it takes -> one, two done!
-------
The clock frequency generator controls the clock frequency. Depending on the CPU, the generator might be on the mainboard or built into the CPU itself.

ok, will 32GB of this

be used as RAM disk?

btw, isnt SB core voltage is 1.2V?
setting more than that will deteriorate the CPU right?
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 3:13:52 PM

Whats your CPU?

Mobo?

Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 3:16:15 PM

Score
July 29, 2012 4:51:38 PM

nikorr said:

windows HP 64 bit...
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 4:52:48 PM

OK, your OS will allow 16GB RAM max.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 29, 2012 4:53:49 PM

But, the RAM disk will be able to use that though, that invisible part.

If u will have 32GB RAM.
Score
July 29, 2012 6:03:46 PM

nikorr said:
But, the RAM disk will be able to use that though, that invisible part.

If u will have 32GB RAM.

no problem getting the 32 GB ram, the problem is what brand?

ill be upgrading to a
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
mobo..

paired with my i5 2500k CPU...

can you suggest me corsair, mushkin, g skill and kingston brands?

because i am a bit un-knowledgeable when it comes to RAM... i only know that, i should get RAM stick with
voltage 1.5 and under..
Score

Best solution

a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 1:00:43 AM

I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile.
And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.

July 30, 2012 3:15:55 AM

Best answer selected by 1depp1.
Score
July 30, 2012 3:16:30 AM

nikorr said:
I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile.
And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
http://www.links.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/vengeance-lp13.jpg

wow, thx nikkor! ur the best!
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 3:18:39 AM

Good luck!
Score
a c 146 } Memory
a b G Storage
July 30, 2012 3:53:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr