Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I got a amd Phenom II would it be worth to upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2011 11:54:02 AM

I built a pc, and i bought a am3+ mobo with the bulldozer in mind. Thought about buying it when it came out. but is it a big improvement over my current cpu?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 31, 2011 11:58:00 AM

wouldn't touch a thing. Next year AMD is going to come out with a new socket anyways.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 12:01:16 PM

Bulldozer release is a dream for servers and heavy multi-threaded application users. As for normal consumers who use PC's for gaming or business/school related use, a Phenom II is more than enough. You will not see any performance increase, and imo, be very disappointed in the money spent.
Related resources
October 31, 2011 12:04:19 PM

what is the new amd cpu socket coming out next year?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 12:05:11 PM

^Which new socket is that?
m
l
October 31, 2011 12:07:02 PM

yeah yeah but it had comed out sure you can take bulldozer
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 2:14:13 PM

Not with the current BD, wait a generation for them to mature and get the bugs and performance sorted.

While you wait, try a quick and dirty overclock by raising the multiplier a notch or two, if it is black edition.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 2:41:17 PM

swifty_morgan said:
wouldn't touch a thing. Next year AMD is going to come out with a new socket anyways.

Your thinking of FM2 which is optimized for the fusion core trinity. It will probably be more like the move from AM2 to AM2+.

As for AM3+, expect that to be AMDs "high end" (if you can call it that) segment for some time
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 2:44:39 PM

As most were saying it really depends on what you use your computer for. If you use modeling application or are consistently making home videos and such the 8000 series Bulldozer will likely show a good improvement over what you have now. The only other case where bulldozer might show improvements is if you are the type to run multiple programs that are ACTIVE at the same time (defragging while rendering a video and playing a videogame) otherwise you can sit happily and wait for either a newer faster Bulldozer or until Piledriver comes out next year and spend your money on an HD 7000 or GTX 600 series graphics card until that time.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
October 31, 2011 3:18:10 PM

I would not bother upgrading at this point.

I believe your best option is to wait for Piledriver which is coming out next year. I think it will be the last AM3+ before AMD ditches production of all CPUs in favor of concentrating on APUs. Server CPUs may be the exception though. However, since servers still need a graphics core of some sort to connect to a monitor to view processes, it's not completely out of the question that there could be server APUs.

For a real improvement right now, you would need to switch over to a Core i5-2500k or Core i7-2600k depending on what you do with your PC.
m
l
October 31, 2011 4:39:00 PM

I use my pc for gaming, and I got the black edition cpu. I would like to try to over clock it a little, but im using the stock fan with it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 5:05:20 PM

With your current PC set up, you would be better off investing in a decent aftermarket cooler ( CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, ETC ETC) and upgrading your GPU to maybe a GTX560ti or even a 570 if you can stretch to it, as when you combine a decent OC (3.8 - 4.0ghz) of your 1100T with an upgraded GPU this will get you the best Gaming upgrade for your machine.
m
l
October 31, 2011 8:29:13 PM

I was thinking of maybe getting another gtx 460 for sli
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2011 8:46:33 PM

You would be better off with a single high powered card rather than 2 x lower powered cards in SLI or crossfire, remember all the issues inherent in dual card set ups such as stuttering. So put your 460 on ebay and put the proceeds towards a 570.
m
l
November 1, 2011 4:50:30 AM

i looked into the cooler master hyper 212+ looks pretty sweet, and its cheap to, compared to the v6 v8 and v12 by cooler master.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2011 11:09:58 AM

megamanx00 said:
Your thinking of FM2 which is optimized for the fusion core trinity. It will probably be more like the move from AM2 to AM2+.

As for AM3+, expect that to be AMDs "high end" (if you can call it that) segment for some time

I think it was an improved model with the 6000 series graphics chip and support for DDR3 2133..... can't remember where I read it.
m
l
November 1, 2011 11:12:14 AM

oh, well i googled it. I couldnt find anything on a new socket, not saying that your lying or anything. just no luck finding info on it
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2011 11:25:36 AM

mattman83us said:
oh, well i googled it. I couldnt find anything on a new socket, not saying that your lying or anything. just no luck finding info on it

Oh well. that's okay. it's what I do. I come over here to lie to people. Trying to keep people informed with what knowledge I have with the hardware and gaming I have experience and literature I read has nothing to with my existence here.
m
l
November 1, 2011 11:27:24 AM

swifty_morgan said:
Oh well. that's okay. it's what I do. I come over here to lie to people. Trying to keep people informed with what knowledge I have with the hardware and gaming I have experience and literature I read has nothing to with my existence here.

hehe, im not saying that, just saying i had no luck finding anything, and i do apprieate your advice. i really do, thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 11:46:08 AM

swifty_morgan said:

No-one's calling you a liar Swifty. Based on the reactions to your statement though, no-one else has heard of this new AMD socket. Please let us know if you find the source of the info.

EDIT: Googling FM2 does point to that one as being the likely candidate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2011 12:10:49 PM

Herr_Koos said:
No-one's calling you a liar Swifty. Based on the reactions to your statement though, no-one else has heard of this new AMD socket. Please let us know if you find the source of the info.

EDIT: Googling FM2 does point to that one as being the likely candidate.

I may have already done that if you read my second or third to last post. I may have mistaken the "upgraded" FM chip as something completely "new", but in the back of my mind I'm positive I read an article about a new upcoming socket. Don't know from where I read it though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 12:12:59 PM

Guess we'll find out soon enough. If AMD are indeed working on something new, the news will break before long.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:33:06 PM

might be cool to have a new socket by amd though, but will kind of suck, cause were gonna all have to buy a new mobo. hehe oh well though, thats computers for you
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 12:37:13 PM

I tend to think AM3+ will stick around for some time, unless they fundamentally change the Bulldozer architecture. Having said that, the APU line seems to be doing very well financially, so AMD may well decide to focus on Socket FM-x to stay afloat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 12:41:07 PM

That is very true. the APU chips for the FM-x socket have great value for lower power consumption and tighter budgets. Im not terribly familiar with them, but does anyone know if they are OC'able? if so, i wouldnt imagine getting anything else for tight budget gaming rigs, especially since you can CFX with a 6670 if you wanted.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 12:41:28 PM

Sorry if im trolling, i just figured we were pretty much off the OP anyways.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:43:17 PM

hehe, its cool. just discussing things now. hehe
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:45:53 PM

i bought a cooler master hyper 922 evo just now. can't wait to get it, and install it. and try to oc my phenom some
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 12:48:23 PM

mattman83us said:
i bought a cooler master hyper 922 evo just now. can't wait to get it, and install it. and try to oc my phenom some

Probably the right choice. Based on the bendmarks (sad to say), the X6 easy keeps up with Bulldozer and even beats it in some cases.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 1:20:41 PM

If you manage to OC your 1100t to 4.0ghz it will stomp all over stock BullDozer.
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:44:43 PM

well ive never oc'ed before, but i kind of want to try it.
m
l
November 2, 2011 11:01:26 AM

hmm. so trinity, is the next cpu?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2011 11:14:28 AM

Trinity is the next Fusion APU, i.e., CPU plus GPU on a single piece of silicon.
m
l
November 2, 2011 11:16:09 AM

oh, i dont like thoses to much, id prefer to have a descrite gpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2011 11:38:46 AM

for moderate to heavy gaming, its better to have a seperate gpu, but for people who do light to moderate gaming, or video editing, its a great setup. Its cost effective, very energy efficient, and keeps your system very compact. A lot of people love that.

Im planning to get this setup for my 5th computer for the lan group i head at my house on saturday. We all get together to play SC2 and LoL. Im hoping that this will smoke my old pc as it is running a Phenom II 555BE (only 2 cores at 3.7GHz) and an old Sapphire 4650. After a slight OC, im hoping to run this FM1 setup at 3.2GHz-3.4GHz as a quad core, and with the 6550 integrated graphics, i think it will perform to any demands the games we play have.
m
l
November 2, 2011 11:40:43 AM

:D  sounds like a good plan.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2011 11:45:42 AM

agree with 2 up ........ bet me to it. It'll make low and "midrange" machines relatively obsolete. My take on this is........ give me a whopping fast multi-core/thread processor in it's own socket and give me a gpu in it's own socket that I can swap out for the next best thing when I can upgrade. That would allow me to install my own cooling solutions and it would also allow for smaller and very needed - upgraded motherboard designs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2011 11:47:47 AM

Agreed, the APU is a very attractive option for the mid-range casual gamer. Besides, the integrated GPU will keep getting more powerful as the technology improves.

The current Llano APU is still based on the Deneb (Phenom II) CPU design. Trinity will be the first APU that uses Bulldozer as the CPU. Allthough, based on the benchmarks, I'm not sure how exciting this is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2011 11:52:49 AM

yeah, that sole fact that the BD architecture is being used almost frightens me. For gamers, this is not an ideal chipset, and if they start making APU's with a server based design for their cpu, it will imo, totally negate any progress for this technology for the budget pc gamer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2011 11:58:12 AM

What is the smallest PSU you would put in this sytem, since total power consumption i think is around 225W for an APU setup.
m
l
November 9, 2011 5:19:06 AM

Best answer selected by mattman83us.
m
l
!