Bulldozer Upgrade Questions

Solution
You are better off spending money on a Phenom II x 6 than a bulldozer. Both of those games actually benefit from more cores, but 6 is optimal for the money spent. I think Phenom 1090T if you are going to OC is your best bet, and will give you optimal performance for the money.

Bulldozer architecture favors server and multi-threaded applicational use, not gaming. Best of luck!

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
You are better off spending money on a Phenom II x 6 than a bulldozer. Both of those games actually benefit from more cores, but 6 is optimal for the money spent. I think Phenom 1090T if you are going to OC is your best bet, and will give you optimal performance for the money.

Bulldozer architecture favors server and multi-threaded applicational use, not gaming. Best of luck!

Solution

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I watched a video on newegg that was off of one of the Bulldozer CPU's. The spokesperson said that if you have the latest AMD motherboard, the new processor, and a 6000 series GPU, then it's a Scorpio setup. He didn't say if there were any plus's to it, but I didn't watch the whole thing.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
personally, i think i would rather run a Phenom II for gaming right now. Thats just me. even with my Sabertooth MoBo and GTX560, i wouldn't pair it with anything other than either a Phenom II x 4 or an i5 2500k. Only 2 gaming chips for sale out there right now imo.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
As far as I can tell (quick google search) scorpio is just marketing gimmick to get you to purchase all AMD products. Essentially, scorpio is just a combination of all their latest hardware (CPU, Motherboard chipset, GPU).

As for the CPU, you'd be better off with a Phenom II X4 than a X6 for gaming at stock speeds (the X4's are always clocked higher for the same price). There are only a few games that take advantage of more than 4 cores. If you can overclock both chips to the same speed, then the X6 is slightly better for general use, but doesn't seem worth it to me.

If you overclock I'd probably get the X4 970 for $130 and overclock it up to or above 980 levels. The 970 is only 200MHz slower than the 980, but it is $40 cheaper.