BSOD When 2 Sticks of RAM installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hi guys, so I recently put together my first computer. Everything was running smoothly until I started playing a couple different games. After about a half hour of playing my system would crash and give me a Blue Screen, Stop code 050 (which after research appears to be RAM related?) So I pulled one of the sticks of ram and now it runs just fine. Any idea? I have included specs below.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Solution
It appears either you have a RAM issue (as in one of the two sticks of ram is bad), or a motherboard issue (as in one of the two channel slots is bad), or a incompatibility problem (likely BIOS settings related).

Try the other pair of memory slots on the computer, if that has the same problem, download UBCD (google it) and do a Memtest+ run and allow it to run for a few hours so you get about 5, 6 passes, and if you get an error before that time, there is something wrong with your RAM or board, which is not at all uncommon.

OH, and with your STABLE configuration, do a BIOS update to the latest BIOS first. Sometimes incompatibility issues are solved in newer BIOS releases.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
It appears either you have a RAM issue (as in one of the two sticks of ram is bad), or a motherboard issue (as in one of the two channel slots is bad), or a incompatibility problem (likely BIOS settings related).

Try the other pair of memory slots on the computer, if that has the same problem, download UBCD (google it) and do a Memtest+ run and allow it to run for a few hours so you get about 5, 6 passes, and if you get an error before that time, there is something wrong with your RAM or board, which is not at all uncommon.

OH, and with your STABLE configuration, do a BIOS update to the latest BIOS first. Sometimes incompatibility issues are solved in newer BIOS releases.

Solution
1. Most likely you have the RAM installed in wrong slots. Read MoBo manual....there should be pictures. After resolving or eliminating this potential cause....

2. Check BIOS for proper RAM settings, set manually. Again, instructions in manual. Many RAM sets require increased voltage at XMP settings.

3. Run memtest86+ ....1st w/ both sticks installed, then with one at a time. Make sure RAM is in the slot manual says it should be in when running one at a time.

http://www.memtest.org/

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Checked over the manual and I have the RAM in the correct slots.

Also tried both of them on their own and they ran fine for hours.

I have installed the latest drivers for the MoBo.

I am thinking it is a ram compatibility issue due to the ram not being on the supported RAM list from the manufacture.

I will attempt a memtest tonight and update with my finding.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, just to be sure, do update BIOS (this is not a driver) with the computer in the stable configuration. Sometimes incompatibilities are fixed in BIOS updates.

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I am sorry, a little bit new to all of this. What would be the best way to go about updating the BIOS? Just find it on the manufactures website? Also, thanks for all of the help so far guy! I really appreciate it!

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

That was the initial configuration I used. I also tried them in a2 and b2, with the same result. I am currently running one 4gb stick in the a1 slot with no issue.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No problem. Usually you just follow the instructions in your user's manual for the motherboard. It will list a few ways you can update the BIOS, one of which will be the easiest (in windows, or with a USB key). Go to the manufacturer's website and download the newest one, and follow the instructions (you may also have to download a small utility from the same website page) to update it.

DO NOT INTERRUPT THE BIOS UPDATE, ABSOLUTELY LET IT FINISH. Use only 1 stick of ram for this since you said this was stable.

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks everyone! I will update the BIOS first and attempt to run one of the games.

If that does not work I will run the memtest to check for any hardware issues. I will report back with my findings tonight or tomorrow morning.

Again I appreciate all the help, I am very surprised with how quickly the flood of helpful replies was.

natea58201

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Sorry for the late reply everyone. Ran the BIOS update last night and it seems that did the trick! I will try play another game tonight for a couple hours to just make sure it was not a fluke. But again, I thank you guys for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS