Athlon II Compatibilty in older boards

Raab_99

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi

This is my first time posting.
I recently purchased the athlon II x4 640 cpu and installed it in my ecs 6100pm-m2 v2.0 motherboard.
The screen was blank, so I googled it and found that my motherboard cpu support list
didn't show the athlon II cpus. I found a post where someone had the same problem with the same board and said he had updated his bios to the latest revision and got his phenom II x2 running on it. I did the same and it worked! My bios says unkown, cpu cores 4 and in windows 7
it says unkown amd cpu. The task manager show 4 graphs and cpuid shows the right specs. Will my cpu still operate at its optimum level?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hi Raab_99. Welcome to Tom's.

Your post is interesting, and as said in your OP, it is working. With this BIOS update, i dont see why if it is working now, there would be a sudden "incompatability" issue with normal use and clockspeeds. Im happy you did your research, and best of luck with you and future upgrades!

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi Raab_99. Welcome to Tom's.

Your post is interesting, and as said in your OP, it is working. With this BIOS update, i dont see why if it is working now, there would be a sudden "incompatability" issue with normal use and clockspeeds. Im happy you did your research, and best of luck with you and future upgrades!

Solution