Sign in with
Your question

BSOD When 2 Sticks of RAM installed

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 29, 2012 6:10:28 PM

Hi guys, so I recently put together my first computer. Everything was running smoothly until I started playing a couple different games. After about a half hour of playing my system would crash and give me a Blue Screen, Stop code 050 (which after research appears to be RAM related?) So I pulled one of the sticks of ram and now it runs just fine. Any ideas? I have included specs below.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
August 3, 2012 8:38:50 PM

I have a similar issue with a fairly similar (but cheaper ;-)) setup:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Pro3

Memory: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (2 x 4GB kit)

Processor: i7-3770 3.40GHz

The strange thing is that either stick will run on its own in any slot, but both together give loads of errors in MemTest86+ even in single channel mode.

I've tried upping the voltages a bit, dropping the speed, increasing the timings; nothing makes any difference, they just won't run together.

Asrock claim the 4 x 4GB kit is compatible, but I've never heard of 4 being more stable than 2.
m
l
August 3, 2012 9:14:41 PM

i have the exact same RAM as you and experiencing somewhat similar issues... i can't get past post in the dual channel slots (2+4, although i contacted MSI about the problem and they say it may be a miss-print, it should be 1+3) so i have to run them in sockets 1+2 which is single channel. you should try this to get the full 8GB until you RMA.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 9:19:45 PM

I've tried single channel, no joy with that either.

Have raised a support query with Corsair just now, awaiting reply.
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:56:19 AM

Response from Corsair:

"If each stick passes by itself Richard, but when used together causes BSOD, there is an issue unrelated to the memory Richard. First update the BIOS as the early BIOS versions of the Z77 had some memory compatibility issues. Then test each stick in each DIMM slot. If all the DIMMs pass like it did with the module, then its most likely an issue with the memory controller in your CPU (which would make sense since any additional load beyond 1 stick causes issues). Let me know if this helps. "

Seems to make sense to me, so will return processor for replacement.
m
l
!