Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What would you do? (decision making)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Cooler Master
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2011 4:37:13 PM

Hi,

I need to take a decision but I can't make my mind, I would like to know what you think I should do.

Situation : I just finished building my computer ( 2500k, asrock extreme 4, XFX 650w, 8g-1600 8-8-8-24, haf 912, 2x200mm coolermaster megaflow blue, coolermaster hyper 212 +, asus vh238h(LED)) but my video card is still missing.

I wanted the Sapphire radeon HD 5850 xtreme and found it only at tigerdirect.ca (i'm canadian) and ordered it on the 15th of may. The product was listed in stock but a few day later my command statut changed to backorder.... (Is it commun practice to display in stock and not actually have it ??)

Anyway, when I asked if they would receive it, they told me that they SHOULD receive it around the end of the month / beginning of june but now I still have no update and I'm getting anxious about WILL I receive it at all? Do I wait for nothing? Should I cancel my order from them and get an other card ? But that card performance for that price vs the 6850 was a real deal.. At the same time, I have all my setup but can't use it yet and i'm stuck on my old Dell inspiron 6400 laptop.

I have been thinking about MAYBE doing Crossfire later.. but since it is unlikely that I will find an other sapphire xtreme 5850 card later on, should I be better with a newer card? Could I crossfire the 5850 with a newer card like a 6870 later on or Need it to be an other 5850 card?

Is there a good deal for a 6870? Should I cancel and get that instead?

What should I do? What would you do!?

Thanks,

P.

More about : decision making

a c 217 U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 4:46:50 PM

You cannot crossfire a 6xxx card with a 5xxx card. You are going to have to wait, unless you get another 5850. If you do plan to crossfire them eventually, you could get a 5850 that's in stock while you wait. There is a good chance that by the time you decide to crossfire the 5850 you ordered, you won't be able to buy a 5850, except on ebay or somewhere similar.
Score
0
May 28, 2011 5:09:24 PM

Thanks for the info about crossfire.

Right now I am budget limited so I can't buy two cards. If I have to, I could replace the 5850 xtreme with a better newer card but it need to be under 200 CAN.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 5:14:31 PM

You can only CF 5850 with 5800 series cards. It's current prices are quite good right now, but you might not find it in the future anymore. I recommend waiting unless you don't mind spending 70$ more on 6950/560, which are imo worth more than nVidia Geforce GTX400 series and from AMD Radeon HD6800 you wouldn't get much more performance.
Score
0
May 30, 2011 2:49:48 AM

Thanks for sharing infos and your opinion,

I'm not really ready to pay more for a upper card and I will probably not CF since I can't afford it right now. Maybe in 2 years I could find an other deal like the 5850 xtreme and buy 2 new cards at that time. I will see I guess..

For now, I think I will wait until the end of the week and, if nothing happens, recontact DirectTiger to see if they can give me an update on the order.

I will see then..

Thanks!
Score
0
May 30, 2011 3:54:23 AM

pascalthib said:
Thanks for sharing infos and your opinion,

I'm not really ready to pay more for a upper card and I will probably not CF since I can't afford it right now. Maybe in 2 years I could find an other deal like the 5850 xtreme and buy 2 new cards at that time. I will see I guess..

For now, I think I will wait until the end of the week and, if nothing happens, recontact DirectTiger to see if they can give me an update on the order.

I will see then..

Thanks!


Whenever a clerk tells you a business "might have a product" at the end of the month, what they are really saying is that they feel that if they can get you to wait until then you will change your mind and buy something more expensive from them.

Used HD 5850's are going for $150 and they have roughly the performance of a GTX 460. HD 6870's are going for as low as $230, and these are quite a bit faster.

This means that if you play your cards right, you could upgrade to an HD 6870 for $80 out of pocket and then get a second one in a few months.

Up to you.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 3:57:37 AM

For the money, the HD 6870 is a pretty good deal $$/performance. If you dont want to wait, it will perform a little better than a 5850 and will CF much better. Ca you afford $200 ca?


Asus for 200, 180 w/rebate
Share
May 30, 2011 5:59:08 AM

Embra said:
For the money, the HD 6870 is a pretty good deal $$/performance. If you dont want to wait, it will perform a little better than a 5850 and will CF much better. Ca you afford $200 ca?


Asus for 200, 180 w/rebate


And if he sells his 5850 (eBay or perhaps ovrclk.net), he will get most of that money back.
Score
0
May 30, 2011 3:46:50 PM

I don't have the 5850 yet, and if I go for the 6870, I will just cancel my order (with the taxes and the delivery cost it was already180$). So with the 6870 been 200 (minus 20 RiM), I could just pay the taxes and delivery and have a better card. What bugs me is the RiM, I would prefer instant rabate instead.

What I did like about the (possible) 5850 xtreme was that it was a very good card for the value and I don't know if I can say the newer 6870 cards ~200$.
Score
0
May 30, 2011 7:52:58 PM

Just to let you know that, since the 5850 xtreme was still backorder after 2 weeks at tigerdirect.ca I canceled my order and went for the asus hd6870 with newegg.ca

I hope I will receive it fast!
Score
0
June 4, 2011 6:14:36 PM

Best answer selected by pascalthib.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 5, 2011 10:13:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!