Sign in with
Your question

6-pin PCI express to 2 x 4-pin MOLEX - Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2011 6:48:35 PM

Hey guys i was planning on getting a sapphire radeon 5750 -http://www.ebuyer.com/product/259592

however i have read that it requires a 6-pin to 2 x 4 pin MOLEX. Im guessing this is a link to the power supply however i wouldnt know how to set it up if i did buy the cable link.

Im presuming it plugs into the back of the card and then into the power supply or is there something else i would have to do?

(Im currently in the process of getting a new power supply so i cant give a deifinite power supply that i would be using.)
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2011 7:11:43 PM

The molex to 6-pin gpu just plugs into two psu molex. If you are getting a new PSU, choose one with 6-pin, or 6+2-pin gpu cable. Most adequate psus will come with at least 2 6+2-pin cables.
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2011 7:48:22 PM

What power supply do you have? You font need to hook the GPU up to molex, thats only for an adapter, granted I don't know a PSU that doesn't have molex anyway.
Related resources
May 28, 2011 9:42:00 PM

Helltech said:
What power supply do you have? You font need to hook the GPU up to molex, thats only for an adapter, granted I don't know a PSU that doesn't have molex anyway.

What do you mean by it only being for an adaptor?
Would that mean that its not neccessary and i can get all the power required through the PCI-E?
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2011 10:26:00 PM

The GPU will come with an adapter if your PSU doesn't already have 2 6-pin PCI-e connection.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2011 3:47:43 AM

Just buy the converter and connect it.After run furmark and see if there is any malfunction (like shutting down/system crash).if this happens only you may need to buy a new psu(corsair cx400/CM460)
May 29, 2011 10:41:30 AM

i appreciate your help guys but i still have no idea as all that picture showed was a load of cables that i dont know what they do and there wasnt even a wall plug in the PSU so i dont understand how you get the power.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2011 10:57:00 AM

Scroll down the page and click "details". This is where you will see the connection types and other info. The pictures don't really show a lot.
a c 193 U Graphics card
a c 121 ) Power supply
May 29, 2011 12:28:10 PM

First of all, the adapter is only needed if your PSU does not have a PCIE power connector. That is unlikely, especially if you buy a reasonably modern PSU. The Coolermaster linked by jockey is an overrated piece of junk though (review at HardwareSecrets). A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and at least 80+ certification for efficiency. My "goto" PSU is generally the 380W Antec Earthwatts, but the Corsair Builder series has also been well-reviewed. Seasonic and Enermax also make excellent PSUs. Coolermaster generally does not.

Edit: Coolermaster feces: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
May 29, 2011 2:27:03 PM

Am i right in saying that the PSU wattage needs to be exactly the same as the wattage required for the graphics card? as the 380w psu is obviously less then the 500W rage that most of the cards i was looking at needed?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2011 2:40:40 PM

No, the GPU wattage for minimum PSU wattage is an estimated total system wattage at peak power. The PSU should meet or exceed this amount. The PSU will only deliver the power that is needed to any component at any given time. I feel it is a good idea to go a little over with the PSU wattage, especially if you are considering upgrades or additions to the system in the near future.
May 29, 2011 3:09:59 PM

ah ok guys ive watched some set ups of PSU's and its helped me understand how it works and ive got an eye on some PSU's i could buy aswell which are fairly cheap

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated
a c 193 U Graphics card
a c 121 ) Power supply
May 29, 2011 5:13:01 PM

Please remember, a quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification for efficiency. The 80plus organization tests at an unrealistically cool 23C, but they run PSUs under test at 100% load for a long enough period of time that overrated junk would blow electronic chunks. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the better brands. Coolermaster, Apevia, Dynex, Diablotek, and anything else with "max" in its name are not.

Edit: Two relatively inexpensive but high quality PSUs are the Antec Earthwatts and Corsair Builder series.
!