Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Problem] No post. ATI 6850 + Asus P5N-E SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2011 7:19:03 PM

Good eve,

I have a computer now running the Asus P5N-E SLI mobo and a 8800GTS 320. I at one point had 2 8800GT running on SLI.

Anyways I decided to buy a new card and found a Asus ATI 6850 on ebay, from a decent seller for a good price, so I bought it. When I got it at home and installed it I get no boot, no post just a long beep and 3 short beeps after, witch I researched it and its code for No Video Card/ Bad VRam.

I updated my bios to the latest from the asus website, I know a lot of people had an issue with the delayed screen turn on, but my is different.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 7:42:33 PM

Sounds like the card could be bad honestly. Was it new or used? What is your power supply? Granted if you ran 8800GT SLI on it it should be good enough for a 6850.
Score
May 28, 2011 8:21:06 PM

Helltech said:
Sounds like the card could be bad honestly. Was it new or used? What is your power supply? Granted if you ran 8800GT SLI on it it should be good enough for a 6850.

It was used, but the seller posted that it had been checked. The PSU came with the computer this one I didn't built, its a velocity micro I got from best buy 2 years ago, its a 600w PSU, thats all I know...
Score
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 8:36:22 PM

Could easily be that PSU then, do you have another maybe a friend's PSU you can test?

Do you have all of the connectors in the 6850 correctly?
Score
May 28, 2011 8:40:39 PM

Helltech said:
Could easily be that PSU then, do you have another maybe a friend's PSU you can test?

Do you have all of the connectors in the 6850 correctly?

Yeah I have both power connectors on the card, I don't know about being the PSU, I ran 2 8800 GTs for like a year with no problems.
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 8:43:55 PM

I've seen crazier things happen. Honestly it sounds like the card to me, I think you might have gotten took.

Stupid question, but did you try to reseat the card?
Score
May 28, 2011 9:27:02 PM

Thanks for the help so far Helltech, Im about to go to a friends house and test the card on his comp, and another PSU on mine. I'll let you know how that goes..
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 10:33:03 PM

Yeah that should guarantee the problem. If it works in his comp, its your PSU for sure. If it doesn't, the card is bad and wasn't tested despite what the Ebay seller may have said.
Score
May 29, 2011 12:45:07 AM

So here is where it gets interesting. I went to my friends house, the computer we tested my vc had been running a 5750 on an asus nforce mobo, not sure witch. Anyways the card went in and the computer posted and booted no problems. We had a bran new Antec 550W PSU on hand, I opened it connected to my PC put the VC back on it, and nothing, 3 beeps, no VC/Bad Vram, we tried different memory just for the hell of it, tried both PCI-e connectors, and tried taking out the selector card for SLI. Nothing works... now its a mistery huh? What should I do? My friend suggested contacting Asus..
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 29, 2011 1:10:13 AM

So the GPU worked on your friends computer.

When you put HIS PSU in your computer it didn't work?

Your PCI-e slot could be fried. The the next logical "problem".

Your motherboard has two PCI-e slots. Try the second slot.
Score
May 29, 2011 2:59:27 AM

No we used a brand new PSU from Antec not the one that was on his computer. Yeah I tried both PCI-e slots, no change. My 8800GTS works on both PCI-e slots so Im pretty sure they are ok. More than anything really I would like to hear from some one who is running this exact set up, I want to know if they are just incompatible or what..
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 29, 2011 6:07:56 AM

no, no, no. i have that motherboard. it will post if you leave it long enough or update BIOS to the newest. There is a known bug that is fixed by a BIOS update fixes long time to post. May be as long as 5 minutes. Update your BIOS. also check this post for more info http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
Score
May 29, 2011 11:11:52 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
no, no, no. i have that motherboard. it will post if you leave it long enough or update BIOS to the newest. There is a known bug that is fixed by a BIOS update fixes long time to post. May be as long as 5 minutes. Update your BIOS. also check this post for more info http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I have updated the bios to 1406, did you get 3 beeps and then it would post anyways?
Score
May 29, 2011 11:29:05 AM

I also tried the method the guy on that post suggested with taking out the SLI selector card, and nothing..
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 30, 2011 1:01:39 AM

i duno what then. Other people have 6850's running ok on that board. After you updated the BIOS did you go into the BIOS setup and reset to defaults and save and exit? you should do this. apart from that, i dont know... you seem to have tried everything. Return the card if you can. Just because it works in another comp doesnt mean it doesnt have a fault that is preventing it to work in your machine. Also check for a BIOS update for the video card. Contact Asus, it may be worth a shot.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 16, 2011 11:04:24 PM

CDT_Ranger said:
I also tried the method the guy on that post suggested with taking out the SLI selector card, and nothing..

I want to know if you ever got this working, as i want to get a 6850 and want to make sure its gonna work on my motherboard. Or if anyone has a similar setup 6850/6870 with this particular Asus p5n-e SLI motherboard working?
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 18, 2011 7:31:50 AM

just purchased my powercolour 6850 today, installed, with latest BIOS got same issue with the beeps. Removed the sli selector, powered on, display ok, booted windows and loaded drivers. shut down and installed the sli selector again and it powered up all good. removing the selector must disconnect some lanes and set the pcie to 1x. it also must reset some setting in bios that allowed it to boot. putting the selector put it back up to its full speed according to gpuz, 6850 now running 100% AOK!
Score
July 11, 2011 8:30:33 PM

I own an Asus P5n-e SLI, and when I try to install a new "MSI R6850 Cyclone" I just got 4 beeps, 1 long, 3 shorts. No image, no post, no boot.

I've upgraded the bios, removed SLI card, cleared the cmos settings and nothing seems to help. I've also tried to power on with no hard disk plugged to the PSU...

Any advice ?

thanks a lot !
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 12, 2011 2:11:42 AM

so the BIOS is updated to the absolute latest (1406 i think...), and after you updated BIOS, you entered the BIOS and reset to defaults, saved and exit? then remove the SLI selector and try boot with the 6850. This worked for me. You should also try resetting the BIOS with the motherboard jumpers. Also make sure you have the extra 6 pin power connector attached to the vid card. I had an Identical issue to you and doing the above steps solved it. Once i got a displaty i could put the sli selector back in and it worked. Since that MSI 6850 is a non-reference design, i would suggest returning it and going for a standard powercolour one, at least you know it will work.
Score
!