Will piledriver utilize the AM3+ socket?

After BD was extremely underwhelming I am ready to head into the future with my p2 quad and was wondering if the forthcoming piledriver cpu will run on am3+... I am considering a mobo upgrade to a 990FX board so I can run sli and I am thinking about my future prospects for a rig... simple question and I will say thanks in advance to whomever can shed some light on this for me...
8 answers Last reply
More about will piledriver utilize socket
  1. Nothing has been released, not even announced except for "leaked" roadmaps, which means almost nothing.

But more than likely it will not work on the AM3+ Platform.
  2. ^ ok and the release will be circa Q2 2012? I know this is far off but im just wondering what people have heard
  3. They said that Bulldozer would be released Q2 2011... that worked out well for them :)
  4. Actually no one knows for sure if Piledriver will work on the AM3+ mobos but some have hinted that it will. Only time will tell but since PD is an upgrade of BD, it would not make sense to change the socket IMO.
  5. After further reading....

there are 2 versions of PD.

1 processor-only which *might* use AM3+
    1 Llano replacement which will use FM2.
  6. People are getting confused, trinity will be using piledriver cores, but it is not the desktop cpu (last rumored for q3-4 2012). Trinity (q1-2 2012) will not have l3 cache and has a built in gpu so it will not work with AM sockets, but uses FM series for the gpu output. It is likely that Desktop PD will be AM3+
  7. itzdanielp said:
    After further reading....

there are 2 versions of PD.

1 processor-only which *might* use AM3+
    1 Llano replacement which will use FM2.

FM1/2 for the APUs
  8. IMO, AMD took the shock about the BD from the first day release i guess they didn't team up for the bear.
    So i'm guessing they will prepare for a massive surprise, maybe this will be achieved with new chipsets, sockets....whatever. But they gonna offer much more performance with PD
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket