GT 240 Crash Issue

porkster619

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hello, today I installed a Nvidia Geforce GT240 graphics card. I removed the old drivers and installed the most recent ones from the Nvidia site.

When I play a game for say 30 mins - 1 hr my computer freezes and requires a cold reboot.

So I uninstalled the recent drivers and installed the one on the disk and it hasnt made any difference.

My friend is saying install the chipset driver for my board. Which I did and no change. He also says if that doesnt work then to format my HD and reinstall a fresh copy of windows and this should fix the problem?

ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard
2GB Geil Value RAM
80GB Exelstor HDD
Nvidia Geforce GT240
550W CiT PSU
Asus Quietrack DVD Drive

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Check the temperature of your graphics card at max load. Use GPU-Z, if it is over 90 degrees at full load, you have having an overheating problem.

Try to change the speed of your fan using EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner IF this is the problem.

porkster619

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Ok, so I formatted my PC and installed a fresh version of windows XP, installed all drivers etc...

I installed GPU-Z and am logging the temps etc...

Without doing anything that would need the graphic card as such it is currently running at between 45-50 degrees.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
That's normal. I'm sure even at full load it shouldn't be too much of an issue. So since you reformatted, are you having the same issues? Check the CPU temperatures too with CoreTemp.

porkster619

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Hello, I was away last night so I have been unable to reinstall any games, which is what it was crashing on.

The night before, I took my PC downstairs and connected it to my 42" TV via HDMI and played some games with a couple of friends. It crashed once or twice in the period it was connected.

I will download CoreTemp and look into it further and let you know.

Thanks again.

porkster619

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Because it only started when I added the graphics card.

Possibly it could be the PSU but 550W should be sufficient enough.

Motherboard, PSU and RAM are all brand new and do not have any defects that I could tell of and all are compatible with eachother.

I am buying a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 32MB Cache and another twin of my RAM later which will be 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz to swap out my old HD for etc.

porkster619

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Hello, ok so I have been playing a pretty graphic game most of the afternoon and these are the readings.

CoreTemp: At boot up - 20 degrees
After gaming - 30 degrees

GPU-Z: At boot up - 30 degrees
After gaming - 55 degrees

and it hasnt been crashing since the format. so was it driver clashing/software? Im unsure :S