PCIEx16 Card Giving Black Monitor; Tech support unsure why

MDJoyce

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hello,
First of all, thanks for looking at my problem.
I'm not anywhere near the level of being able to build computers, but I've found that if I search this website and the internet enough, I usually am able to come up with a solution to whatever my problem is. This time I think I am in over my head, however, and it's the first time I've been forced to post a thread asking a PC question.

The Situation
I bought a computer made by CyberPower off of NewEgg about a month ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229247

When I got the machine, my monitor would not display anything when I plugged it in. My monitor is an HP2009m. I talked to tech support at CyberPower and they said it is possible the GTX550Ti came loose, or the RAM did. They had me open the machine and make sure the card and RAM was secure. It was. They had me check a different monitor on the computer, the same thing happened: still black. They had me check my monitor (the HP2009m) on a different machine, it worked fine. They then instructed me to send the machine back. A couple of weeks later, I received it in the mail after they looked at it. I still have the same problem. They said that it was working fine when I sent it back, and suggested it was the monitor. I am supposed to call back once I try it on a different monitor again.

I then decided to plug the monitor into the onboard motherboard, and the monitor and machine worked fine. I've installed a lot of programs on it, and in fact am typing this message from the system via the onboard graphics. When I go into the device manager and under display adapters, it does not show the GTX card, and just says: Itel(R) HD Graphics Family, which I am assuming is the onboard graphics.
devicemanagerdisplay.jpg

This is the most worrying thing to me. Could it be that because I have the monitor plugged into the onboard, it is only detecting that card and not the GTX? That seems to run counterpoint to everything I've read online.

What I've Tried

1. Checked Placement of Card: I've checked to make sure the card is sitting well. I haven't taken it out and put it back in yet, as I'm slightly nervous about doing so, but I am getting to that point. The fan on the card is running fine, and it seems very securely placed.

2. BIOS: I read that you need to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS. For me the closest option was to "Enable in No Ext PEG." This was correctly selected as the default. I also checked "Init Display First" and the current selected default was "PCIEx16," which was also correctly selected.

3. Nvidia Drivers: Here I ran into a problem. When I try to install the driver from either the EVGA driver CD or the more recent ones from online, I get this: NVIDIA Installer Cannot Continue, The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
nvidiadrivers.jpg

I ran Driver Cleaner and uninstalled all the NVIDIA drivers. Then tried again. Still not luck, it says that it could not find compatible graphics hardware.

4. Onboard Drivers: I also tried running a system restore, going back to the date they mailed me the machine. When I did this, the Device Manager said that the display adapter was "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I tried installing the Nvidia Drivers from this configuration, but got the same error. Once of the searches I did came up with this link, where someone seemed to edit one of the driver's files:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/36368-windows-not-recognizing-nvidia-geforce-8400m-gt.html

I was wondering if my solution might be similar, since the problem those two people were having seems very similar to mine.

What I'm Going to Do
I'm wondering if perhaps something is wrong with the DVI-A adapter that came with the card? Is that possible?

The CyberPower tech support suggested that I try a new monitor again. I was thinking of buying a better monitor anyway, seeing as how I want to take full advantage of the graphics card available to me. I was actually on my way out the door when decided to write this. I was going to make sure that the monitor I got came with a Mini-HDMI cable. Because the ports on my card are two DVI ports as well as a Mini-HDMI port.

I am not hopeful that a new monitor will fix it, however.

I just don't understand why my card isn't even being recognized in the display adapters. I don't doubt CyberPower when they said it was working when they checked it--why would they ship it back and forth at a loss and not fix anything?

ANY help or ideas would be most greatly appreciated. Seriously, any thoughts whatsoever.

Thanks for your time reading this,
Mike

They may have checked the system using the built in graphics.

Normally, motherboards with built in graphics will detect the presence of a graphics card and automatically deactivate the onboard graphics processor.

This isn't the first problem of this sort that we have seen with CyberPower.

MDJoyce

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Thanks jsc, the other monitor made no difference. Neither did taking out the card and putting it back in. :(

I fear you may be right.

The weird thing is that the fan on the card is working fine, so I'm guessing it is getting enough power.