Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V Pro won't boot or enter bios

Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2012 11:07:03 PM

I've had my custom-built computer for almost a year now, but have encountered a possibly fatal problem today. It must've crashed while I was in a different room, and since then, it can no longer get past the pre-boot Asus motherboard screen with the message "Please press DEL to enter EFI BIOS setting" under any circumstance. Not even to the bios.

I've tried unplugging as much as I can so all that remains is the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard, the Intel Core i7-2700k processor, G.Skill DDR3-1333 4GBx2 RAM, and a wired USB keyboard, but I still can't seem to enter the bios. Reset the CMOS, too. The BOOT_DEVICE_LED remains red whether my hard drive is plugged in or not.

Is there any way for me to fix this odd problem? I'm sure that I can fix my boot problem if I can get to the bios, but I can't seem to do even that. After having a previous custom-built computer that lasted for four years on the same hardware, I really hope I don't have broken hardware in this one when it hasn't even lasted one year. :( 
a c 174 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 30, 2012 12:48:31 AM

did you have anything overclocked?
m
l
July 30, 2012 2:38:19 AM

I think I did a little, but I'm not sure how to reset that without being able to get to the bios.

In any case, having only one of my RAM sticks connected, your question did prompt me to try switching it out with the second stick, and now my computer boots again. And it doesn't boot with both sticks and the original first stick in the second position. I guess this goes to show I have a bad RAM stick, and now I feel silly for not having tried this before.

I'll put my computer back together again and see if it still works alright.

EDIT: So trying different RAM stick combinations multiple times reaffirms that the one has gone bad, which is better than having a bad motherboard. Everything seems to be going well thus far with just the good RAM, too. Even so, I must say thanks for nothing ASUS. This was apparently a RAM problem the whole time, yet it was the boot error light on the motherboard that was red the whole time, not the RAM light.
m
l
a c 174 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 30, 2012 4:22:33 AM

Zamzoph said:
I think I did a little, but I'm not sure how to reset that without being able to get to the bios.

In any case, having only one of my RAM sticks connected, your question did prompt me to try switching it out with the second stick, and now my computer boots again. And it doesn't boot with both sticks and the original first stick in the second position. I guess this goes to show I have a bad RAM stick, and now I feel silly for not having tried this before.

I'll put my computer back together again and see if it still works alright.

EDIT: So trying different RAM stick combinations multiple times reaffirms that the one has gone bad, which is better than having a bad motherboard. Everything seems to be going well thus far with just the good RAM, too. Even so, I must say thanks for nothing ASUS. This was apparently a RAM problem the whole time, yet it was the boot error light on the motherboard that was red the whole time, not the RAM light.

That'll happen. I'm glad that you got it solved on your own.

To be honest though there's a lot involved in the POST process and the SDRAM is involved in multiple ways and at multiple stages. It's not really fair to blame Asus for a problem that could be caused by a bad memory module, bad power delivery, bad memory controller, bad firmware, etc... POST indicators are useful but they're far from deterministic. Asus boards are amongst the most reliable I've ever had the pleasure to work with.
m
l
!