Sign in with
Your question

Would graphics card be the proper upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2011 1:13:08 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently playing a lot of the Battlefield series and thinking about Battlefield 3 this fall. I'm usually running about 25 FPS right now with this setup at 1900x1080: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As you can see, it's a couple years old and I'm thinking of upgrading. Should I...

A.) upgrade the graphics card to something newer, say one of the Nvidia GTX series
B.) upgrade something else because a graphics card isn't the lowest hanging fruit and would only create a bottleneck anyway
C.) get a whole new system altogether (keeping in mind that I am not made of money)
D.) none of the above

I'm looking to make efficient increases to my FPS at the above resolution. I very much appreciate any help you guys may have. Thanks!

Andy
May 29, 2011 1:55:46 AM

Just wanted to add some info to this question. Gaming is most important, I'd like to purchase ASAP, and I'm hoping to stay under/around $200, keeping value in mind.

In addition, I'd like to use Amazon or Newegg, and I'm not sure about overclocking.

Thanks in advance for advice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2011 3:19:45 AM

AM, you should provide more info in order to get a good recommendation. Waht are your running now? What games do you want to run? What is your budget? I can't even venture a guess unless you provide more info.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 3:25:04 AM

*My opinion*, id upgrade the cpu 1st and your power supply and then move onto graphics.
m
l
May 29, 2011 3:25:47 AM

^^Ops spec

Desktop PC Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB DDR2 500GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
m
l
May 29, 2011 3:36:16 AM

Scan - PhenomII x4 965 @ £99.55 (amazon £112) (newegg $139.99)
(you can always drop down a spec or 2 for the processor to keep costs down)
Scan - Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H @ £80.72 (amazon £89.21) (newegg $104.99)

Tried a good spec for you under $200

only thing left would be memory which G.Skill are cheap and really good (im using them).
m
l
May 29, 2011 4:53:12 AM

chesteracorgi said:
AM, you should provide more info in order to get a good recommendation. Waht are your running now? What games do you want to run? What is your budget? I can't even venture a guess unless you provide more info.

Chester, thanks for replying. Here's a link to my exact specs on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm hoping to run Battlefield 3 smoothly this fall, and for now am playing the current generation of similar games, like Battlefield BC2 and Medal of Honor. Also, I'm looking to stay below $200, UNLESS it makes more sense to just get a whole new system altogether. I'm trying to find a balance between keeping my spending down, getting a noticeable performance boost, and ultimately getting the most bang for my buck.
m
l
May 29, 2011 5:01:02 AM

blakmumba said:
Scan - PhenomII x4 965 @ £99.55 (amazon £112) (newegg $139.99)
(you can always drop down a spec or 2 for the processor to keep costs down)
Scan - Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H @ £80.72 (amazon £89.21) (newegg $104.99)

Tried a good spec for you under $200

only thing left would be memory which G.Skill are cheap and really good (im using them).

Hmm, this isn't quite as expensive as I thought it would be, which is great...thanks for the opinion. How hefty of a power supply do you think would be required with a setup like this? I'm sure if I went this route I'd have to enlist help as replacing CPU seems a bit more complex than GPU for a novice such as myself. Although, I'm sure my existing Geforce 9500GT would be at its maximum potential when paired with this CPU. Another option to consider, for sure...any other ideas out there?
m
l
!