Sign in with
Your question

Would Jesus buy a new computer?

Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2011 7:37:42 PM

For the past year I have had to reformat my computer what seem to be every three months. I reformat and everything works great...then progressively there will be screen tearing in Firefox, Bad Company 2, now Battlefield 3, Video Card Driver crashes where the screen goes black then comes back and Windows said there was a driver crash, netflix videos stutter with sound glitches that sound like a CD skipping, gets to where it takes win 7 15 minutes to load, mouse click takes 10 seconds to register, and many more problems. I have a i7 920, with a Gigabyte UD5 Motherboard, a new since February, 2011 GTX 570 that did not fix the problem, a new since September, 2011 Intel SASUC8I Raid controller (same card as a LSI SAS3081E-R just re-branded under intel), and new in February, 2011 Corsair 850 watt power supply, new in November of last year 6 gigs of Dominator DDR3, and just to top it off I have two new Caviar Black HD's from 4 months ago that also did not fix the problem.

So I have practically replaced everything over the past year trying to trouble shoot this thing to no avail. One theory I have is that the PCI Express bus or what ever runs it is partially failing making some of the lanes unusable and as time goes on there is not enough room for all the components to communicate. I sent the board to Gigabyte twice and they say it passes prime 95 with flying colors, so there is no where to go there.

At this point I have two options really. Either buy a new mother board or upgrade. If i try a new x58 motherboard that would be like $200 to $250. That's money that could go to a 2500K, a good motherboard, CPU heat-sink, and some memory. That way I am looking at $650 to $670. Or should I wait and pay probably around $800 for the sandy bridge e set up?

I don't know...LOL...all I know is my computer is becoming a pain and I want to enjoy it again? What would you guys do?? I think Jesus would just buy a new computer...but I was curious what you guys would do.

Thanks a million for your input, you will be truly bless for your recommendations! Ok now I am getting carried away! Thanks again.

More about : jesus buy computer

a c 146 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 7:45:20 PM

What drivers are you using? It does sound like it could be a mobo problem but it could be a problem with the video card or drivers.

What Videocard are you using and what drivers?

Is the video card overclocked and if so what is the core clock, mem clock and voltage?

Have you indivdually tested each PCI-e slot?
m
l
October 31, 2011 8:25:19 PM

The latest drivers that just came out with BF3...and I have always downloaded the latest drivers. Even back when I was running 2 5870's with the latest drivers from ATI it still had this issue. I have not individually tested the each slot since my top slot is the only one rated at x16. The bottom two are rated at x8. The card is a GTX 570 super-clocked from EVGA. The core clock is 797, shader clock is 1594 and the memory clock is 1950, all stock from EVGA. I am not sure how to find the voltage as that is not listed in the EVGA precision utility. I forgot to mention the problem was also with 5870's as well. At this point I am ready to give up the ghost on it I think and upgrade...just not sure to what and whether to wait or not.
m
l
Related resources
a c 145 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 11:39:59 PM

Have you tried another monitor?
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:49:23 AM

All I have is a Samsung syncmaster 2494 that I got last December because it was a good deal on the Tom's Daily deals section. Now my computer is giving me green frames mixed in and telling me do to lack of system resources I should use the default win 7 color scheme. Why would it dump me out of my game to recommend a new color scheme?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2011 2:58:06 AM

BF3 is still buggy. Needs a couple of patches. Screen tearing you say. Do you have v-sync enabled. Screen tearing normally is a result of the gpu/LCD going out of sync
m
l
November 2, 2011 5:59:41 AM

Same problems started for me when i tried to OC my cpu;video driver crashes, blue screens,etc.i just reset the bios and with fresh windows installation everything seems to be working fine..
Could be a hard drive problem.....
m
l
November 13, 2011 9:56:21 PM

I have now installed a new mother board. I am now running a i7 920 oced to 2.93, a ASUS Rampage Formula III mobo, evga 570, and 6 gigs of Corsair Mem...and I am still getting this screen shot interrupting my games which eventually over a month of gaming turns to screen tearing, games freezing as soon as they load to the point where my computer will not even run Titan Quest. Click the link below to see the screen shot. I promise the link is not bad...I just used my photo business site to host the image.

www.marksintimephotography.com/freeze.jpg
m
l
November 14, 2011 2:32:55 PM

gladiator_mohaa said:
For the past year I have had to reformat my computer what seem to be every three months. I reformat and everything works great...then progressively there will be screen tearing in Firefox, Bad Company 2, now Battlefield 3, Video Card Driver crashes where the screen goes black then comes back and Windows said there was a driver crash, netflix videos stutter with sound glitches that sound like a CD skipping, gets to where it takes win 7 15 minutes to load, mouse click takes 10 seconds to register, and many more problems. I have a i7 920, with a Gigabyte UD5 Motherboard, a new since February, 2011 GTX 570 that did not fix the problem, a new since September, 2011 Intel SASUC8I Raid controller (same card as a LSI SAS3081E-R just re-branded under intel), and new in February, 2011 Corsair 850 watt power supply, new in November of last year 6 gigs of Dominator DDR3, and just to top it off I have two new Caviar Black HD's from 4 months ago that also did not fix the problem.

So I have practically replaced everything over the past year trying to trouble shoot this thing to no avail. One theory I have is that the PCI Express bus or what ever runs it is partially failing making some of the lanes unusable and as time goes on there is not enough room for all the components to communicate. I sent the board to Gigabyte twice and they say it passes prime 95 with flying colors, so there is no where to go there.

At this point I have two options really. Either buy a new mother board or upgrade. If i try a new x58 motherboard that would be like $200 to $250. That's money that could go to a 2500K, a good motherboard, CPU heat-sink, and some memory. That way I am looking at $650 to $670. Or should I wait and pay probably around $800 for the sandy bridge e set up?

I don't know...LOL...all I know is my computer is becoming a pain and I want to enjoy it again? What would you guys do?? I think Jesus would just buy a new computer...but I was curious what you guys would do.

Thanks a million for your input, you will be truly bless for your recommendations! Ok now I am getting carried away! Thanks again.

Jesus was an illiterate carpenter, I doubt he'd buy a computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2011 3:13:25 PM

Quote:
I think Jesus would just buy a new computer

Jesus would donate the computer [and all his other worldly possesions] to charity.
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 10:39:57 PM

Nvidia release new (beta) BF3 drivers today.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2011 10:50:06 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:
I think Jesus would just buy a new computer

Jesus would donate the computer [and all his other worldly possesions] to charity.

Nah - Jesus would layeth his hands uponeth thy sick computer and healeth it mightily, plus turneth three tired floppies into a spanking-new SSD. Then he would donateth ith to charity-eth :D .

I wonder why all those Biblical types spoke with lisps??
m
l
!