Should i overclock my phenom 955 to 3.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

im getting a gtx 560 ti, and i have a amd phenom 955 3.2
should i overclock my cpu to 3.4 like the phenom 965 3.4?

if i overclock my cpu to 3.4 will it kill the lifespan of the cpu? is it safe?

i just dont wanna bottle neck my graphics card with my 955 3.2, but then again i dont know if my cpu will be bottle necking my graphics card.

im not sure if it will matter but this is my power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

if i overclock my cpu will it need more power from my power supply?

if i overclock my cpu to 3.4 over much will it take out of the lifespan?

Solution
Hi.

You have a basic PSU, you can overclock with it BUT I recomend you get a better cooler and not try to overclock with the stock cooler.

The Overclock reduce the CPU lifespan a little, but that's not much for not do it at least that you want keep that CPU 100 years.
Hi.

You have a basic PSU, you can overclock with it BUT I recomend you get a better cooler and not try to overclock with the stock cooler.

The Overclock reduce the CPU lifespan a little, but that's not much for not do it at least that you want keep that CPU 100 years.

Solution

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

lol 3.4 isnt really a overclock as you will hardly notice the difference and if thats all you are comfortable of, then even the stock cooler will do fine, but it really isnt necessary, you may as well not even bother. if you are going to overclock tho, the 955 is capable of at least 3.8ghz, get a different cooler. it will reduce the lifespan but you shouldnt worry, it will probably out live this system anyway even afetr oc'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.