Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer starts up, and then shuts down right after?

Last response: in Components
October 31, 2011 8:50:11 PM

Hey guys, i didn't know exactly where to make this thread, as i couldnt find one that specified my problems. So one night when i got home, my computer was shut down, so i started it up, and five seconds later it shuts down. I have repeatedly tried turning it on but it doesnt work, except for a couple times. During those couple times, if it actually gets to my desktop screen, my monitor freaks out and makes like, a screen with squiggly lines all over it :??:  I have tried using a different power supply power cord. that got it nowhere. I tried putting a different power supply in, that just made it worse, and the voltage on each was the correct one for USA. I'm really confused, and dont know what to do from here.
I'm open to all solutions, (hopefully most aren't money consuming) and please help. Thanks, Nic.
PS: Desktop computer.

More about : computer starts shuts

October 31, 2011 9:08:20 PM

Is there a CMOS reset on your motherboard? Check the Manual.

If not, just unplug the power cord and remove the 3V Small flat battery and leave it out for a good 30 seconds.

If the issue still persist, there is a problem.
m
l
October 31, 2011 9:13:39 PM

so of course, with my luck. I can't get the battery out D: is thee like a special way, the battery for the motherboard is wrapped in a sorta black circular thing.. :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2011 9:18:38 PM

Nicstar543 said:
so of course, with my luck. I can't get the battery out D: is thee like a special way, the battery for the motherboard is wrapped in a sorta black circular thing.. :) 

nevermind, got it :) 
m
l
October 31, 2011 9:20:47 PM

ok, removed the battery, let it out for about 1 minute and put it back in. The problem is still there, any more help?
m
l

Best solution

October 31, 2011 9:24:58 PM

mhm. since you described monitor unusual visuals, do you by any chance have a graphic card plugged into the PCI-E Slot?

If not then your motherboard might be taking a dump. (dying)
October 31, 2011 9:27:47 PM

nope, pretty sure the graphics card is motherboard-built-in. I need a new motherboard then?
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:12:56 AM

There is a good chance your graphics card is toast but as you state it's built in then yeah pretty much your computer is done and if so I am sorry to hear it, happened to me not long ago
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:41:45 AM

Best answer selected by Nicstar543.
m
l
!