Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Very unhappy with my EVGA GTX 560 ti Crysis 2 Edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2011 4:36:42 AM

I recently built my first pc and the GPU I chose I am very unhappy with. My games are constantly crashing. My plan is to hold out on this card until the end of the year. I am going to want to purchase one of the top of the line cards (thought thats what I was doing in the first place). Is the 6990 going to be king? And another mistake I believe I made was putting a Nvidia card with a AMD cpu, was this a bad decision? How long will it take for the 6990 and the 590 to drop down to $300 or around that (from the ones who have noticed the top cards drop in price over the years). Thank You :wahoo: 
May 29, 2011 4:49:03 AM

Could your games crashing be related to your gpu and if so how are you certain that it is the gpu? as the gpu you got is quite good. When you mean crashing, what do you actually mean? computer freezes, game error diags etc.

try this link below regarding your card and crysis 2

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
May 29, 2011 4:49:43 AM

Hi highly doupt its your gpu
Related resources
May 29, 2011 4:56:26 AM

Crysis 2 is the only game that I have yet to have problems with other than a couple of freezes. But Bad company 2, Dragon Age 2, and Shift 2. They all have really good fps but crash bad company 2 will get black blotches and lines everywhere and then crash to the desktop. Dragon Age 2 crashes to the desk top constantly. It seems that when i take my side panel off and point a fan in the tower it works better. But i have to have the fan pointed directly onto the gpu. I have checked the gpu temps and it is staying under 75c. So i dont know what could be going on. The cpu is staying well below 60c.
May 29, 2011 4:57:33 AM

R U using MSI Afterburner?
May 29, 2011 5:16:43 AM

I was but I quit, i heard it can mess with bad company 2. I stopped using overclocking programs to see if it would help and i did not see a difference
May 29, 2011 5:23:04 AM

Dont use MSI Afterburner to overclock but to check your GPU temp and to also set your GPU fan manually as this is what I and my mates do. Before using this, my GTX480 would hit 90c with the fan speed just slightly increasing. With Afterburner, I set the Fan Speed to 75-80% (give or take a few) and have it showing the display in the top corner to ensure the cards are cool. Try that.

Best solution

May 29, 2011 5:24:35 AM

reading your post above, regarding pointing the fan at the gpu, its defo a heat problem thus me advising you to try afterburner fan speed control.
May 29, 2011 5:27:35 AM

I will give that a shot and see if It helps. Thanks for the info i will get back with the outcome.
May 29, 2011 5:28:47 AM

Hope it goes well.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2011 5:31:24 AM

it says in your rig on the signature that you have your processor overclocked using a stock cooler "CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T OVRCLKD @ 3.7GHZ on Stock Cooler". Personally i would never overclock anything with a stock cooler because of how small the fans are on them. Could that be the reason your games are crashing because of heat issues on your CPU not the GPU?

Even if its not the heat it may be the overclock isn't stable at the voltages/ram settings. I have more problems with a overclocked CPU than the GPU failing in all of my overclocking I do. Have you tested it with stock everything for test purposes to make sure your not undervoltaging the CPU?

Hope this helps.
a c 169 U Graphics card
May 29, 2011 7:42:10 AM

look, set your rig to stock clocks. you have no idea whats causing the crash and just throwing out the assumption that its your vid card??? you make no sense. you could end up replacing the vid card only to have more problems. You also have a psu made by kingwin which is known to put out some bad PSU's with cheap components.
May 29, 2011 12:23:18 PM

No my cpu is just in turbo mode in desktop I have tried it with and without turbo mode. Its not legitly overclcocked.
May 29, 2011 12:28:36 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
look, set your rig to stock clocks. you have no idea whats causing the crash and just throwing out the assumption that its your vid card??? you make no sense. you could end up replacing the vid card only to have more problems. You also have a psu made by kingwin which is known to put out some bad PSU's with cheap components.

I have done it all bud. And i would say pointing i have made a pretty good assumption considering pointing another fan directly on it has helped. And i have ran stability test on the cpu for a few hours when in turbo mode, so i know thats not the problem. The psu is working perfect and it has had some awesome with no trouble at all.
Thanks
May 29, 2011 5:02:05 PM

I must say your whole computer design is quite strange, especially getting a 1000W PSU, which is complete overkill, and a non-reputable brand. But that aside, if the GPU is the element causing you problems it is not a systematic problem regarding all 560Tis, it's just yours. In which case send it back and get a replacement under warranty.

I do not think it's necessarily the problem causer though. Stress your CPU with some Prime95 torture testing, see if any crashes occur. If you're still stable I suggest you run a furmark burn-in cycle, and see if you start crashing again. The only problem with this is that it significantly stresses the CPU as well as the GPU.

It's much harder to tell between a faulty GPU and faulty PSU. I know OCCT has a power-supply test feature built in, but frankly I don't know how good it is, so if anyone here has more knowledge on OCCT PSU stress test feel free to provide it :p .

Back onto OCCT - run their GPU memtest. Now this test IS buggy; sometimes it doesn't work well at all, but a large number of errors, combined with the issues you're experiencing could further indicate a manufacturing fault in the GPU.

All in all, if you're getting persistent issues when your GPU is stressed, and only when your GPU is stressed, get a replacement under warranty. If that doesn't fix your problems my second bet would be in the PSU.
June 8, 2011 12:06:18 AM

Best answer selected by jtgolden1s.
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 6:21:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!