Color Correcting Canon i9100 Printer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 20, 2005 4:04:12 AM

I have calibrated my CRT to 6500K using a spyder, and am using Adobe
photoshop cs to print color photos that were taken with a EOS 10d set to
use adobe rgb color space.

I generated a printer profile using 'Profiler Plus'.

The prints are far off from what I see on the screen, and 'tweaking' the
printer profile does not seem to be having much effect.

Would anyone who has gone through this process successfully care to
offer a few tips? I would be very grateful (and I could stop wasting
expensive photo paper!)

Thanks in advance,

Steve
March 20, 2005 6:18:21 PM

hi there.

I don't really know anything much about Canon Printers and their colour
management systems, but it sounds as if you could be Colour Managing in PS
and also still letting the Printer Colour Manage. With Epson Printers it is
necessary to go into the Printer Driver Dialogue and select "No Colour
Management" to switch off the Printers in built system.

Also ensure you are not applying 2 sets of corrections to your Monitor.
Remove Adobe Gamma from the "Start Up" folders, otherwise it will interfere
with your Monitor Profile produced by the Spider.

I would not advise following the advice from Colin D. his system is just
ignoring any sort of sensible Colour Management.

Roy G.

"steve" <doesnotexist@bitbucket.invalid> wrote in message
>I have calibrated my CRT to 6500K using a spyder, and am using Adobe
>photoshop cs to print color photos that were taken with a EOS 10d set to
>use adobe rgb color space.
>
> I generated a printer profile using 'Profiler Plus'.
>
> The prints are far off from what I see on the screen, and 'tweaking' the
> printer profile does not seem to be having much effect.
>
> Would anyone who has gone through this process successfully care to offer
> a few tips? I would be very grateful (and I could stop wasting expensive
> photo paper!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

Related resources
March 20, 2005 6:39:07 PM

Sorry, just realised I did not say how to set up PS Col Management.

Print with Preview > More Options > colour Management.

In "Source Space" > in Document > Working Space Profile, Adobe RGB. That
should also have been "tagged" onto the Image File.

"Print Space" set that to whatever name you have for the Paper/Printer
Profile you made.

Select "Perceptual" or "Relative Colorimetric". Experience will tell which
you prefer.

Roy G.

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> hi there.
>
> I don't really know anything much about Canon Printers and their colour
> management systems, but it sounds as if you could be Colour Managing in PS
> and also still letting the Printer Colour Manage. With Epson Printers it
> is necessary to go into the Printer Driver Dialogue and select "No Colour
> Management" to switch off the Printers in built system.
>
> Also ensure you are not applying 2 sets of corrections to your Monitor.
> Remove Adobe Gamma from the "Start Up" folders, otherwise it will
> interfere with your Monitor Profile produced by the Spider.
>
> I would not advise following the advice from Colin D. his system is just
> ignoring any sort of sensible Colour Management.
>
> Roy G.
>

> "steve" <doesnotexist@bitbucket.invalid> wrote in message
>>I have calibrated my CRT to 6500K using a spyder, and am using Adobe
>>photoshop cs to print color photos that were taken with a EOS 10d set to
>>use adobe rgb color space.
>>
>> I generated a printer profile using 'Profiler Plus'.
>>
>> The prints are far off from what I see on the screen, and 'tweaking' the
>> printer profile does not seem to be having much effect.
>>
>> Would anyone who has gone through this process successfully care to offer
>> a few tips? I would be very grateful (and I could stop wasting expensive
>> photo paper!)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Steve

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:50:28 PM

Canon color management protocols are just not as accurate as Epson, besides
being more difficult to set up. Your experience is not unusual.

If you Email Canon support they will send you a detailed description of
their two color management protocols. Some experimentation is required to
get results you like.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:16:55 AM

steve wrote:

> I have calibrated my CRT to 6500K using a spyder, and am using Adobe
> photoshop cs to print color photos that were taken with a EOS 10d set to
> use adobe rgb color space.
>
> I generated a printer profile using 'Profiler Plus'.
>
> The prints are far off from what I see on the screen, and 'tweaking' the
> printer profile does not seem to be having much effect.
>
> Would anyone who has gone through this process successfully care to
> offer a few tips? I would be very grateful (and I could stop wasting
> expensive photo paper!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

When printing to my i9950, almost at the bottom of the 'Printer' dialog
box there is a field called 'Profile' where you can select the printer
profile. I use 'Same as source', which means that whatever my image file
is profiled as, that profile will be used by the printer. My pictures
print practically identical to the monitor display, which is set up for
sRGB.

Colin
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:53:32 AM

Same here. The first offerings from my 9950 wern't that good in the colour
dept. untill I found a canned profile from Ilford. Now I have great results.
Canon could do a lot better with it's own software. I personally think you
should get better results out of the box than we do at the moment. Epson
does a great job, so why not Canon? Ultimatly I am delighted with my 9950
but a pain to get even close to acceptable results. I wouldn't recomend this
printer to anyone who does not understand colour profiling, otherwise a
great machine.

John D
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:53:33 AM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:53:32 -0000, "John DH"
<nospammJohn@celticgods.co.uknospamm> wrote:

>Same here. The first offerings from my 9950 wern't that good in the colour
>dept. untill I found a canned profile from Ilford. Now I have great results.
>Canon could do a lot better with it's own software. I personally think you
>should get better results out of the box than we do at the moment. Epson
>does a great job, so why not Canon? Ultimatly I am delighted with my 9950
>but a pain to get even close to acceptable results. I wouldn't recomend this
>printer to anyone who does not understand colour profiling, otherwise a
>great machine.
>
>John D

My i8500 works great with the Ilford-supplied profiles on their paper.
(Monitor set up with Monaco Optix.)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:53:57 PM

> My i8500 works great with the Ilford-supplied profiles on their paper.
> (Monitor set up with Monaco Optix.)

Just waiting for a new batch of a3 to come through. I was wondering if there
are any problems at Ilford, my supplier usually gets my order ready in 48
hours, but this time I have had to wait 2 weeks. I agree about Ilford paper
working well, it was brilliant on the Epson and can't wait to try it on my
i9950. The paper stock that I have at the moment (not Ilford) is being
cut-up for CD cover labels.

John D
March 22, 2005 4:33:03 AM

John DH wrote:

> Same here. The first offerings from my 9950 wern't that good in the colour
> dept. untill I found a canned profile from Ilford. Now I have great
> results.

Which paper are you using? I really like the classic pearl but even their
canned profile isn't as good as the custom one I had made. They limit the
color gamut to include sample variations in printers and yours may have a
wider range than these canned profiles print inside of.

--

Stacey
!