Upgrading the current computer, Or going new, Opinions Please

rogbur22

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Ok first off here is what I got to start with that Im typing on now.......... I can spend 1000-1200 but I would like to not spend it all but hey if it goes, it goes :lol: The Computer is and will be used 98% for gaming some for movies etc, It's mainly a surfing game machine and a toy for me. I buy all my stuff at New Egg and Tiger.

I do not overclock. I have no prefered parts I will use Intel, AMD, Nvidia and ATI. I prefer ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards though. I have built all my own boxes for the last 12 years.

AMD Phenom II 965BE Deneb 125W 3.4ghz
Asus M4A78T-E AM3 790GX HDMI
XFX ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5
Crucial 8BG (4x2GB) DDR3 1333 PC3 10600 CT2KIT25664BA1339
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Black 7200 SATA 3.0GB
Sony DVD Burner
Sound and network onboard
Windows 7 Home 64 Bit OEM
Corsair VX550W PSU
Antec 300 Case
Bose Companion 2 Speakers
HP 2009 20" LCD Monitor

The case is the oldest thing, all other parts are from February 2010. All in real nice shape.

Things I know I want...........

Keyboard
Mouse
New case
Power supply
Video Card
Blue Ray burner and Im keeping the Sony DVD burner in the new one also.
Hard drive, SSD or both ?? This one I really need advice on, Im an SSD n00b. It it performs big time though I would like it.

Should I get a new monitor ? this one is really nice but the res is not to high :/ I probably should so thoughts on that to.

Questions. Should I replace the motherboard and memory ?? or just leave them for another year or 2 ?? Or should I just get memory cus it's cheap ?

Also opinions please on the Video card, I want a single card config. The board I have will x-fire but I am gonna pass. I would rather have one single beast card. I don't mind NV or ATI I have owned both over the years and Like them both. I play my games at the highest specs I can get away with and maintain 40 FPS or better. If I got the system the specs get bumped.

Your opinions on the case, I would like a roomy case with cable management and good air flow, Prefer full tower size maybe in the 150-200 dlollar range, I see so many I like hard to choose.

Any opinions on Mice and Keyboards ? I have heard good things on the Logitech stuff and conflicting reports on Razer items.

The PSU will be another Corsair, I just love the one I have it's pure quality and I got it on a shell shocker deal for like 38 dollars after the deal and a 20 dollar rebate a few months back. I know I won't find like that again, I was thinking about 150 for a good 850 Corsair or should I go higher just cause I can ?

OR..................

Should I just Leave this box alone and spend all my money on a new system based on Sandy Bridge ?? :lol:
Im also open to this Maybe it's what I do in the end. Or should I wait a few months and see what Bulldozer has to offer ?
I think thats it for the moment, anything questions ?, just say the word I will tell yah.

Oh and leave me 100 bucks for another copy of Windows 7 I will probably have to get.
I guess in the end I just want some opinions on what some of you guys would do and how you would spend the money :)

Thanks for your time and sorry if I babbled on :D

atypicallemon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Personally I would pretty much leave it alone and invest into a better graphics cards and PSU. For graphics i would say either the ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card-499.99
or
ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card-379.99

The psu will also need to be replaced with something decent and at least 650 watts so something like CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply-109.99
Then a case something like the Antec DF-85 Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case-154.99 or anything close to that there are quite a few cases at 150-200 range that are full
Then mouse/keyboard of your choice this is more of a personal preference.
If you are looking for a SSD check out Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)-119.99
Other than that use the rest to upgrade your monitor that would be my 2 cents might not be right but is what I would do.
So if you go with the 6970 you could walk out for $610 +monitor and mouse/keyboard

or

$730 for 580 build

Solution

rogbur22

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

Very nice, I was hoping that it would hold up well enough for a suggestion like that. Sometimes it just takes someone else to look at it to get a new fresh point of view. I think we sometimes think "our own" stuff is never good enough :D I do like the GTX 580 a lot and I have been looking at them for a couple weeks. Are there any manufacturers to stay clear of with Nvidia cards ? Just wondering as I have been with ATI the last couple times out. Thanks much, man I could get a kick ass monitor huh :lol:

Does everyone or most anyway have good luck buying monitors and having them shipped in ? I had to take the last 2 monitors back to the stores where I got them for dead pixels etc so I was wondering. I really would hate to have to ship a monitor back most likely at my cost. Then again I am in Amesbury MA and there is a Micro Center in Boston about an hour or so away. I guess I just answered my own question :D