DDR3 RAM Prices, about to go up?

nintygaming

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I'm looking to "future proof" my PC for 2 reasons,

1. The future is 64 bit, and I plan on keeping my PC for 5-8 years, thus more ram will do me good with the 64 bit future.

2. Resell value of my PC will be much higher if I max it out to 16 GB, which is what it is currently able to handle (sandybridge H67 chipset).

I've noticed that DDR3 ram is very cheap. I can get Samsung 16GB of matched ram for $94 shipped on newegg, unless I wish to take a risk and get a lesser brand (Pareema) for $80 shipped.

However, my question is as follows......

Should I wait for an even further price drop? Or is this as low as its gonna get for DDR3 prior to the release of DDR4 (in the which, DDR3 prices will start to go up again, just like DDR1 and DDR2 did), and thus I should get it this cheap while I can?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

ddr-4 for a retail mb is at lest 18 months or more before we see it. first the ram has to be sign off as a valid computer spec. like wifi b/g. once it spec off then vendors will have to buy or ramp production of the ram. the first samples are going to go to intel and hp and other big server and storage companies for testing in house and field tests. if intel likes the new ram it make a chipset for the servers and or see if older chipset will run the new ram. once there a new chipset for the ram and it in the server market for a set time then intel make a retail version of the server chipset. (c206 is the server side of the x79 and z77).
as with ddr-4 it going to have the same issues as the old ddr-2 and ddr-3 did when it first hits. ddr-2 could run faster then the first ddr-3 spec ram when it came out. it took a few months for ddr-3 ram to run faster then ddr-4.
one other issue right now is how much free cash these ram makers have as ram prices are real low right now (had one ram maker go under a few months ago). starting a new fab line is not cheap..may see ram vendor not switch over to new drr-4 ram till they sell out of there older ram.

nintygaming

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

OK, so to clarify.....

should I make my purchase now? Or wait for even much lower prices? (I'm afraid that if I wait much longer, the prices may go up a bit just like DDR1 and DDR2 did after DD3 became mainstream. For example, new DDR1 at the moment cost well over $100 just for a measly 4GB!!!!!!)

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
If I were you, buy it now. That way you don't have to worry about prices going up suddenly. RAM is very cheap as it is, you probably won't regret your decision. Sorry for the late reply btw :)

nintygaming

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks very much. One more question......

Should I get 1333 Mhz or 1600 Mhz? (if this helps, I'll be using this ram with a Gateway DX 4850 motherboard, i7 2600 CPU. American Megatrends Bios.)