Last response: in Components
October 31, 2011 11:34:43 PM

Hello,
I have
cpu -intel i7 890 2.93GHZ.turbo3.66
Graphics Card -ATI READION 55701GB
RAM -6GB 1333Mhz Kingston
Power Supply -450w.500w max output

Now if I put in a 1000watt power supply to this system would it be able to run the new ATI READION 6990 4GB DDR5 card without a problem?
November 1, 2011 12:00:57 AM

clutchc said:
Definitly. In fact, use a PSU calculator to see if the PSU you have now will be sufficient.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js...
How many monitors are you running to require 4GB?

I am running one a 24.1in 1080p LED Asus monitor and planning on running a second one of the same kind
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 12:01:14 AM

You will need a better psu for that card, although a KW unit is overkill
Depending on any overclocking you may do I think an 850 is more in line with your needs
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 12:14:02 AM

e520 said:
I am running one a 24.1in 1080p LED Asus monitor and planning on running a second one of the same kind

The 6990 would be better utilized by getting a third monitor and doing 3x1 eyefinity. Since you're willing to fork out the dough for the card, fork it out for the monitors too and join the 3 monitor gaming revolution :pt1cable: 
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:35:32 AM

larkspur said:
The 6990 would be better utilized by getting a third monitor and doing 3x1 eyefinity. Since you're willing to fork out the dough for the card, fork it out for the monitors too and join the 3 monitor gaming revolution :pt1cable: 

Sounds like a plan to me, but I wounder if I should put in 2 more GB of ram?
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 12:42:14 AM

No, ram is fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 12:54:31 AM

e520 said:
Sounds like a plan to me, but I wounder if I should put in 2 more GB of ram?

6gb is enough for gaming purposes. Just make sure if you are going to do eyefinity that you research the monitor output requirements. Usually 3 monitor eyefinity requires that at least one monitor be connected through a "DisplayPort" (DP) connector. Many monitors do not have a DP connector and in that case you would need to buy an active DP adapter. The specifics can be found through googling (and also reading AMD's eyefinity requirements website). Anyway, I highly recommend eyefinity, it works great with most new games and (aside from the DP requirement thing) was easy to setup. The "peripheral" vision that it gives creates a more immersive environment. On games where it doesn't work well, you can simply play it on your center monitor and be like everyone else. But once you are spoiled by 3 monitors, one will seem claustrophobic!
m
l
!