Sign in with
Your question

The device, /Device/Ide/iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout...

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2012 6:16:53 AM

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my 5 month old 7 series Samsung laptop (NP700Z5B-S01UB). I lately get about two or three freezes a day with the following entry in event viewer: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." Freezes last at least 10 minutes and some even need a hard reset. I've reinstalled windows two times, and it has greatly reduced the frequency and duration of the freezes, however they still pop up.

Seems like a hardware problem right? I've found in the following Intel chipset datasheet (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/6-and-c...) the following issue that affects my chipset revision:

"14. Due to a circuit design issue on Intel 6 Series Chipset and Intel C200 Series Chipset, electrical lifetime wear out may affect clock distribution for SATA ports 2-5. This may manifest itself as a functional issue on SATA ports 2-5 over time. This issue has time, temperature and voltage sensitivities."

I've been running lots of Civ V for the past months and this thing does get really hot. My guess is that maybe the damage has built up really quickly because of it. Does anyone know how can I find out in which sata port my harddrive is connected (without opening it and voiding my warranty)? Thank you in advance! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 4:25:34 PM

miroso said:
Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my 5 month old 7 series Samsung laptop (NP700Z5B-S01UB). I lately get about two or three freezes a day with the following entry in event viewer: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." Freezes last at least 10 minutes and some even need a hard reset. I've reinstalled windows two times, and it has greatly reduced the frequency and duration of the freezes, however they still pop up.

Seems like a hardware problem right? I've found in the following Intel chipset datasheet (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/6-and-c...) the following issue that affects my chipset revision:

"14. Due to a circuit design issue on Intel 6 Series Chipset and Intel C200 Series Chipset, electrical lifetime wear out may affect clock distribution for SATA ports 2-5. This may manifest itself as a functional issue on SATA ports 2-5 over time. This issue has time, temperature and voltage sensitivities."

I've been running lots of Civ V for the past months and this thing does get really hot. My guess is that maybe the damage has built up really quickly because of it. Does anyone know how can I find out in which sata port my harddrive is connected (without opening it and voiding my warranty)? Thank you in advance! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting, I have almost exactly the same problem on my Series 7 gamer laptop (NP700G7A-S02UK) - did you ever find a solution?
November 28, 2012 9:59:54 PM

Yeah. Had to reformat the whole HDD (except for the recovery partition) and *then* reinstall OSs. Moved the partitions around too. Don't use Windows reformat options; somehow, they made no difference.

Funny how misleading the problem was.
!