New/First Build help

deepthinker25

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
So this is my first time posting to any forum ever, so bare with me if I am not up to date with any sort of formalities.

I am building my first ever gaming rig, and I am looking to spend ~1400 dollars for something powerful and preferably with good upgrade-ability down the road. I have spent a while trying to find the best parts for the price range.

This is what I have come up with.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12115149

Unfortunately I also need a monitor with the purchase, although I am willing to get a slightly smaller monitor now so that I can get more/better parts.

I have a hard drive from my previous PC, but would like the ssd for a boot drive.

I am also aware that my power supply is alot bigger than what i need, but I do plan to Overclock and get SLI in the future, so i would like to prepare for that.

Thanks!

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
There is no real benefit with z68, and with ever changing parts, etc, go with p67. That ram is decent, however, like I told the person in the thread that I linked you, it doesn't matter what the clock speed of the RAM is, if it doesn't have a decently low cas latency. That ram has high cas latency, and therefore, you would benefit more from getting less memory with the same clock speed and a lower cas latency, such as ram like the g.skill pi that I linked him. I suggest you thoroughly read through that thread, and it should answer a lot of your questions. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS