Sign in with
Your question

New/First Build help

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2011 3:10:18 AM

So this is my first time posting to any forum ever, so bare with me if I am not up to date with any sort of formalities.

I am building my first ever gaming rig, and I am looking to spend ~1400 dollars for something powerful and preferably with good upgrade-ability down the road. I have spent a while trying to find the best parts for the price range.

This is what I have come up with.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Unfortunately I also need a monitor with the purchase, although I am willing to get a slightly smaller monitor now so that I can get more/better parts.

I have a hard drive from my previous PC, but would like the ssd for a boot drive.

I am also aware that my power supply is alot bigger than what i need, but I do plan to Overclock and get SLI in the future, so i would like to prepare for that.

Thanks!

More about : build

Related resources
August 3, 2011 3:58:33 AM

ohh wow I realize how stupid that made me look. The ram I chose must not have made it into my shopping cart...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is what I had.

and that person did have very similar needs...

If i plan on using a boot drive, and not intel smart response, do you think I would really benefit from a z68 board, or do you think I could get a better deal on a p67?

August 3, 2011 4:33:30 AM

There is no real benefit with z68, and with ever changing parts, etc, go with p67. That ram is decent, however, like I told the person in the thread that I linked you, it doesn't matter what the clock speed of the RAM is, if it doesn't have a decently low cas latency. That ram has high cas latency, and therefore, you would benefit more from getting less memory with the same clock speed and a lower cas latency, such as ram like the g.skill pi that I linked him. I suggest you thoroughly read through that thread, and it should answer a lot of your questions. Hope this helps.
!