My New "Top Notch" PC Does not POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampl_538

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Dear all,

I have just finished building my new computer but it doesn’t post.

Almost everything is NEW except for the PSU and Motherboard. I bought them about 2 or 3 years ago when I first began with this build, then I was forced to use my money on other things so the motherboard was stored in the attic and nothing has been done to it since I didn’t even open the box. The PSU I used directly for my other PC and it was and is working beautifully.

My Specs:
Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W PSU
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Mobo
Intel Core i7 980 6 Core CPU
Coolermaster V10 CPU Cooler
Corsair 6x 2GB DDR3 Dominators
ASUS ENGTX560 TI Direct CUII 1GB DDR5 Video Card
ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3
WD Velociraptor 500GB Hard disk
Windows 7 64x Ultimate
Antec Nine Hundred Case

I have done all below and with no effect;

Used a different monitor
Checked every single connection
reseated everything
Checked all pins if they are bend
Removed the Xonar card
Tested another video card
Tested video cards in different slots
Tested minimum required ram to boot (manual says the computer will not boot with just 1 stick installed) switched sticks and switched them between slots ( I do not have another pair of DDR3's so the same were used)
Tested the rig outside the case to rule out shorting (read that somewhere on the net a few hours ago)
Cleared CMOS

Later on i also tested with one stick in each slot

Installed a pc speaker and gave everything above another go but there are no beeps at all.
I do not have another PSU and I do not have another CPU and mobo
The PSU works just fine in my AMD computer that I was using before I took it apart so I could install my new items in the same case 3 Days ago.

The GP diagnostic card begins with code 89 and then goes to b9 both codes are not mentioned any were in the manual, asus site or the net.

So when I press the on button everything turns on I can hear my HD loading all the leds are burning green and blue and all fans are running nicely however there is nothing displayed on the monitor and the heartbeat on this board does nothing... also there are no beeps coming out of the pc speaker. The cpu is compatible with this board since bios 0905 the board says it has rev. 1.01 does this mean I cannot run this cpu until I have the new bios installed… how do I install a bios if I can’t get to it.. I do not have another core i7 lying around...

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated

Solution
The 980 requires firmware version 0905 and if you bought the board several years ago it may have an earlier revision. You may be able to hotflash the firmware by loading the firmware onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick and following some special instructions. The newer 6 and 7 series boards support this, not sure about the older 5 series

REV 1.01 would be the board's physical design revision.

It may also help to flush the settings, could be necessary.
The 980 requires firmware version 0905 and if you bought the board several years ago it may have an earlier revision. You may be able to hotflash the firmware by loading the firmware onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick and following some special instructions. The newer 6 and 7 series boards support this, not sure about the older 5 series

REV 1.01 would be the board's physical design revision.

It may also help to flush the settings, could be necessary.

Solution

Sampl_538

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Hi Pinhedd,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

What you are saying is new for me..
i have cleared the CMOS with jumper and battery en i flushed the power to.

Is it possible to hotflash the firmware while the computer can't reach the post?? if so, is it just inserting the mem stick with new bios.rom and it wil boot??

Thanks again!!

On newer motherboards it is possible to hot flash it without POST but seeing as 0905 is the latest I'd probably trust Asus in saying that it's already on there. I don't know the exact procedure to hot flash it, I've never done so, but it is similar to what you describe. If you've followed the procedure to clear the settings then there's nothing more to be done there for now.

If possible I'd recommend that you get a single 512MiB or 1024MiB module from Kingston and insert only that stick with nothing else. It will boot if it is in slot A1,B1, or C1, but not A2,B2, or C2. Every computer store has these for like $10, I've been using them to recover dead systems for years. Dominator SDRAM can be problematic sometimes, especially when newer ones are used on older systems.

Sampl_538

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Dear All,

I have some new information..

I happened to come across an old pc speaker and decided to replace the one i had installed with this one.. and it turns out the other one was not working for some reason.. i started it up and it started to beep. exellent!! i started at the beginning.. i cleared the mobo from everything except for the CPU HSF and needed power (24 an 8 pins) it beeped as it should, that there is no memory installed. good, but then i installed one stick an then silence it did not beep and it does this with all the sticks.. i read from another post that this indicates that the memory is shorting out my PSU.. also i have found out that the DIAG CPU led is not burning like the DIAG led of the Memory, it blinks 2 or 3 times and then in shuts of i happened to see it nou cause i installed the stock intel cooler that came with the cpu instead of the v10.

so is it the psu?? it was working fine in my other rig (AMD) or is it the memory?? or is the other post not right about this..

Thank You!!

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

There is a way to test the PSU and all you need is just a paper clip. Just need to short the power switch cable which is "green" to any of the ground cable which is "black".

Folow this link for picture illustrations http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/testing-your-corsair-power-supply/.

Hope that help you save 20 bucks :D

That shows that the PSU will power on but that's it. The OP has already shown that it does by virtue of post codes and beeps

It will not do anything to test individual connections or rails

Sampl_538

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Dear All,

Thank You All for helping me out!! it was the BIOS version..

I installed an older CPU and it booted.. flashed the bios and then i put in the i7 980 and guess what.. it worked as it supposed to!

Thank u All again!!

Kind Regards

So it did not have 0905 as it said on the box? Guess I had it right at first. Interesting but I'm glad its working!

Status
Not open for further replies.