Sign in with
Your question

Advice best PCI graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2000 9:42:18 PM

I have a cheap FIC CW33 mobo with no AGP slot.
What would be the best choice for a PCI video card?
I would be using the PC for gaming.

Or would it be better to switch to a different mobo
and buy a nVIDIA card(in which case I'd be spending
a lot more). I would do this as a last resort if
the PCI solutions in the market are nowhere comparable
with the AGP solutions.

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2000 4:05:57 AM

I don't think that there are any "really" good PCI gaming cards. You could find a PCI version of the ATI Radeon or the Voodoo5, but neither of these cards are ideal for gaming, especially with the PCI interface. AGP is going to stay, as it provides a lot more power and dedicated bandwidth for the video. You want to get a new mobo, a AMD set would be best as the Socket A format is one that AMD is planning on keeping for a while. Get a good Nvidia or maybe ATI card (AGP) if you plan on games.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2000 8:46:24 AM

I second that, you're better off getting a Socket A TBird Motherboard and an AGP card. If money is an issue you can get a Duron for less then $100.
A good PCI graphics card is almost an oxymoron. Whatever you do avoid the Xpert 98, I had one and it's horrible for games. I recommend the ATI Radeon 32MB DDR especially if you can get it at Best Buy and get the $50 mail in rebate.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2000 9:02:57 AM

Actually there is a decent PCI card out there, Inno3D Tornado GeForce2 MX PCI, based on, as you have most likely guessed, GeForce2 MX. It's mostly targeted at the i810 users who want to upgrade... review can be found here, it's in russian, but you can still read the benchmark results, hehe:

http://www.ixbt.com/video/inno3d-gf2mx-pci.html
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2000 4:54:30 PM

AGP is the way to go...if you want fast smooth gameplay go for the upgrade. But I used to run all my games on a Diamond Viper V550 16mb PCI and was very happy with it. The system was a PII 333 all SCSI 196mb RAM, i played quake II and III also Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear online and it worked fine.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 10:09:44 AM

I don't know..If you go to www.3dfxgamers.com, and click on Reviews for the VooDoo3 3000 PCI, most of the independent reviewers found that the PCI version of the card only performed .5% worse than the AGP on ALL benchmarks..That translates to .05 less framerate on Quake III. If you can see that difference, then more power to ya!!!!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2001 3:48:27 AM

You don't want to spend alot of money on a HUGE upgrade, right ?

You can fing a cheap $30-$40 motherboard with the same memory, CPU & form factor you use now and get one with an AGP slot. (www.pricewatch.com)

If you do decide to get an AGP slot I suggest the ($110) Asus V7100 32MB video card. It's cheap and works great with games. It will also work in all AGP slots (x1, x2 & x4).
!