Sign in with
Your question

Newbie Building I5 2500k Rig

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2011 11:14:27 PM

Hey all,

I am currently looking to build a rig based on the I5 2500k sandy bridge processor. I have never built one before but it seems relatviely straight forward and used the usual video web hotspots.

I am looking to get these components and just wondering if there are any issues that anyone can see or anything that would need changing.

List of components

Intel I 25 2500k processor (retail use stock heat sink it comes with).

Asus P8P67 Rev3, Intel P67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0 x16, DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengence 8gb DDR3 PC3 (1600) Non ECC Unbuffered CAS 9-9-9- 24XMP RAM

2GB XFX HD 6950, PCI-E 2.1 (x16), 5000MHz GDDR5, GPU 800MHz, 1408Cores, DL DVI-I/ DVI/ HDMI/ 2x mDP Graphics/Video Card

500W Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder Series, 80% Eff', 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX PSU

1TB Western Digital WD1003FBYX RE4 Enterprise, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, NCQ Hard Drive.

Coolermaster Storm Scout Mid Tower Black Case

Sony DRU-880S, Black, 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, RAM x12, SATA,Retail Labelflash (just cheap one as wont be using for DVD watching etc).

I am aware of intel's issues with the motherboards (hence the rev 3 board) and hoping they have now sorted this with the revised chipset.

I will use this PC for warcraft and general FPS and also for my work that will be starting with a Computer Science degree so looking for something to last so I can do everything. Just wondering is this a good start or a bit overkill, also money is not really an issue here but if I can save a few quid all the better. All suggestions and advice welcome as more of a software buff than hardware guru.

Cheers

BigRikk :hello: 
March 10, 2011 1:09:04 AM

i5 2500K is all you'll ever need for at least the next 2 years (especially if you overclock it).

P8P67 B3, or revision 3, is going to be a great motherboard if you don't mind the fact that it only has one PCIE 2.0 x16 port. yes, you will be able to CrossFireX your 6950 if you want, but it will not be at optimal performance for both cards. it will run them at x8/x4 rather than the optimal x8/x8. If money doesn't really matter, go with P8P67 Pro or EVO for $30-$50 more. they both have more capable PCIE ports and they also pack in a few more features over the Standard P8P67. not to mention they look very nice. standard is very dull looking IMHO.

Corsair Vengeance: Make sure it is dual channel memory. its pretty much a waste of money if its not, nowadays.
if you are willing to spend a little bit more, go for any Corsair Dominator memory kit. the Dominator series has proven to be very good, fast, durable, and reliable. it is kind of expensive but you will not find better quality/price RAM anywhere else out there.

XFX 6950 2GB is good. the extra gig of VRAM will give you some breathing room on particularly GPU intensive games but there is no need for the extra VRAM if you are just going to be playing Warcraft and "general FPS". you will only need more than 1GB if you want/will ever want to play games like Crysis, GTA IV, Far Cry, Metro 2033 max settings including AA on 1080p to 2560x1600. as far as games like COD, CSS, Left For Dead etc. ,what i consider to be general FPS, 1GB version has got you covered.

you are not very specific on exactly which areas of computer science you will be studying, but if you will do video editing, 3D modeling, Photoshopping etc. 2GB does really come in handy

500W Corsair: 500W is probably justttttt enough to clear all those parts alone. you will also have to take into account your fans, cooling, LED's, overclocking, CrossfireX, and any other extra components you might add later on. try at least 650W. 750W if you don't want to buy a new PSU if/when you ever want to upgrade your computer.

there is a really good deal on a top end 750W XFX PSU on newegg. saves you about $60. (-$30 instant + -$30 MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1TB WD HDD: hard drives are not really an area i am experienced in, but Western Digital is a good brand and it would be hard to go wrong with any of their hard drives

Cooler Master Case: Any case from Cooler Master is good. just make sure it is large enough to fit all your parts. I always like to get full tower cases when purchasing a case just to be sure theres enough room for sufficient cooling. HAF X or HAF 932 is another good option if you want a full tower.

Sony DVD drive: any DVD drive is acceptable. you could even probably salvage one from an old PC if you want to save some money.

good luck

March 10, 2011 1:53:48 AM

Do NOT use Dominator RAM that maxmax suggested. You need 1.5v spec RAM, and that Vengeance fits the bill. If you run 1.65v RAM you risk frying the CPU's memory controller and Intel won't cover it because 1.65v is out of specification. Someone else on these forums is finding that out the hard way today...

That 500W power supply is a bit weak. I'd suggest a Corsair 650HX or TX650 V2.

That hard drive is an enterprise version and meant for 24/7 usage. If you normally power your machine on only when you are using it, that drive isn't a good idea.
Related resources
March 10, 2011 2:50:46 AM

Fine. Get whatever RAM. Don't cry on the forums when you fry the CPU and Intel tests it to determine what happened and they say the warranty is null and void because 1.65v RAM is out of specification. As I said in my last post, someone else on the forums is having this very problem.

Those guys at XS aren't having problems ... yet.
August 3, 2011 9:03:44 AM

Thanks for all the input Guys, Actually revised the spec completely as didnt get round to building it a few months back.

I have gone with the vengence ram (8gb 2 x 4gb) (1.5v) due to specs as don't fancy frying the CPU like an egg.

I have gone with

Corsair TX750 PSU

Sapphire 2GB HD 6950 card

Asus P8z68 V PRO board

also got a dark rock advanced cooling fan and also a Samsung Spin point 1TB drive as seems to have a lot of good reviews and once I have the cash will probably upgrade if needed on this.

Any further advice just let me know

Thanks

Rikk :) 
August 3, 2011 10:41:30 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
August 3, 2011 11:53:00 AM

Sounds good.
My god, that's an expensive heatsink.
!