Question about vsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I have a 120 mhz monitor but vsync for some reason is set 60 (caps my monitor at 60). My settings are set at 120 so why does this happen? Could it be some setting in the game?

Also, if i disable Vsync my fps doesnt go over 120, yet i still have tearing. Doesnt tearing happen when your fps goes over your monitors refresh rate and your monitor tries to display more frames than it can show?

Thanks!

just because its set at 120hz at the desktop does not make it so in game. Some games have the option to set this others you may need directx override.

your second question, tearing can happen under 60fps when the fps is not in sync with the refresh rate. you may notice vsync will lock fps at intervals like 15fps, 30fps, 45fps, 60fps, fps in between that you may get tearing. Also enable tripplebuffering with vsync.

no, im not farmiliar with doing it in win7 and have not had to do this in a long time. a quick search returned this http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123366. If noone else responds you may just have to search. the answer you need will be somewhere.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I tried that program, but the game is still capped at 60 fps. Could it be the game is hardcoded at 60fps? I think this is the case because when i pause the game and go in the menu the game goes up to 120. The game is assassins creed brotherhood.

I tried forcing vsync from the nvidia control panel but it game the same result.

Could be a hardcoded cap, its not unheard of. Could also be a signal limitation; I don't believe HDMI can handle 1080p@120Hz, which could be forcing a default to 60Hz...

Also, you are using a native 120Hz moniter, and not a "120Hz" TV, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.