Having problems with new GPU

Hovdizzle

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I just recently replaced my old GPU (an Nvidia 9800 GTS 512mb DDR2) after it stopped detecting my monitors. I bought what I thought would be a decent replacement (a Visontek ATI Radeon HD5450 2gb DDR3), but after using it for two weeks I haven't been very pleased with it.

The new HD5450 struggles to run games that played on the GTS smoothly. For instance, the GTS could run WoW at 60+ FPS around resource heavy areas such as towns and raids. The HD can barely keep up 30fps when I'm standing around in the middle of no where. Pretty much every game that ran fine on the GTS runs very sluggishly, if at all, on the HD. After experimenting with different system settings, trying out troubleshooting steps I know and reading online forums, I have had no luck getting good performance out of the HD and really have no idea what to do. I'm somewhat decent when it comes to computers, at least to a point, and now I'm starting to think that I might have bought a video card that isn't the best for my CPU.

Here's my system specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5Q-E
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/06/09 20:13:11 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (DDR2)
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2545MB used, 17929MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

One other thing I should add is that when I'm trying to play games the temperature on the GPU climbs up to 70+ degrees Celsius. I've read some differing opinions on how much heat cards can take so I'm not 100 percent sure on if this is what is causing my problems because the 9800 GTS was usually around the same temps and didn't have any problems. The HD5450 doesn't have a built in fan on the card, and I bought it thinking that the fans that I have in my tower would be enough to keep it cool.

Any help or ideas or input would be greatly appreciated because I'm about ready to take the card back to the store and go without a computer for a while if I can't get the problem fixed. : /

Hovdizzle

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Right now I've been getting in to Rift, or at least trying to. I've also played Battlestar Galactica Online, which from what I understand, runs mostly off of flash, and the HD 5450 cant even run that.

Hovdizzle

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
What about a GeForce GT 440 with 1gb DDR3? The store that's in my town has a very small selection when it comes to video cards and if I remember correctly that was one of the other cards they had there.