I have a 550w power supply can i run a core i7?

loneoz

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,
just wondering if anybody can help me, i bought a core i7 today thinking that my 550w psu would run it but i started getting the blinks, power on power off continuously while trying to load. i have a gigabyte P67A-GD55 mobo and 2x 4g corsair ram and an nvidia gts450 graphics card and operating windows 7 x86 . the psu isnt a known brand and it says maximum power output is 550w....
is this my problem? not enough juice? i have searched evrywhere about this.
hope someone can help me, please

beenthere

Distinguished
If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

loneoz

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks heaps for your responses and advice. my cpu is work related so i decided to just go and buy a big psu, 850w, just to be sure and everything is working fine now. once again, thankyou for your help and time :)