Your question

Can i upgrade to a GTX 580?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 29, 2011 10:54:51 PM

Hey everyone, i have a question i hope you can help with.

Its my birthday next month, and im considering using the money im gonna get to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 580. However im not quite sure if my computer can handle it. Im mainly thinking about the power supply, but also the motherboard. My current specs:

CPU: Intel i7 860 (SOCKET 1156), 4x2.8ghz
GPU: Radeon 5870, made by XFX
Motherboard: GIGABYTE P55M-UD2
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM, KINGSTON
Power Supply: Energon EPS-750W

I also have a dvd drive, 2 HDD's and 3 fans. Not quite sure on the exact models of those.
Any help would be appreciated.

More about : upgrade gtx 580

May 30, 2011 3:42:40 AM

krol146 said:
Hey everyone, i have a question i hope you can help with.

Its my birthday next month, and im considering using the money im gonna get to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 580. However im not quite sure if my computer can handle it. Im mainly thinking about the power supply, but also the motherboard. My current specs:

CPU: Intel i7 860 (SOCKET 1156), 4x2.8ghz
GPU: Radeon 5870, made by XFX
Motherboard: GIGABYTE P55M-UD2
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM, KINGSTON
Power Supply: Energon EPS-750W

I also have a dvd drive, 2 HDD's and 3 fans. Not quite sure on the exact models of those.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to assume you know that you need to remove your existing ATI video card. Yes, you can run a GTX580 on that system. However there are some issues to consider.

1) You will notice only very slight performance increase.
2) Your power supply is not trustworthy. The OEM of that model is actually a company called Andertek and they are not known for quality.

Here is a discussion concerning your power supply:
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/693536-inter-te...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 3:48:13 AM

Buy a better PSU first. You would need it anyway for a gtx580.
Next, OC your cpu....I think you should see a bump in performance as stated above.

If you still want more, then consider a gpu upgrade. you will have what you need to do so. You will definitely need a goos OC on your cpu for a Gtx580, and the 5870 is still a very good card.

What resolution do you use??

m
l
May 30, 2011 4:55:28 AM

I agree completely with the comments stated above. Overclock your cpu first ( if your cooler can handle it ((don't use the stock cooler!)) ) Try to get a better quality power supply and possibly a higher wattage like 800+ to compensate for OC's and the 580's massive power consumption. At this point, you should be good to go. If you do end up upgrading your gpu, I would be more than happy to buy your current 5870, for a reasonable price.
m
l
a c 1170 U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 6:03:28 AM

A GTX 580 is roughly a 25% increase in performance over a 5870 and adds PhysX and greatly improved DirectX 11 tesselation performance.

m
l
May 30, 2011 6:10:33 AM

We haven't been saying that the GTX 580 is not more powerful than the HD 5870. We have been saying that on his system he will only notice a slight performance increase. This distinction is obviously too subtle for some participating in this discussion.

The performance increase also varies from application to application (which is not reflected in the 'non-cited' benchmarks above). He might see an increase of five frames in one game, three frames in another game, and no increase in yet another.

There is already a consensus in this discussion that the power supply is the thing he needs to focus on first.
m
l
May 30, 2011 12:51:17 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. First things first, im not really upgrading my card to get a big boost in FPS. Im just tired of ATI, ive been having a lot of driver issues with them, and ive been wanting to go back to Nvidia for a while.

If i were to upgrade my Power Supply first, what would you guys recommend?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 1:58:57 PM

Well, what is your budget? Don't forget about OCing your cpu...it will help. Have you a after market cooler?

Something like this would serve you a long time ===> Corair ;) 
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:38:22 PM

I'll have around 150$ to spend on a PSU, so the one you link to looks good. I only have the stock cooler on my CPU. How much would a decent one cost me?
m
l
a c 1170 U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 3:56:57 PM

krol146:
Your PSU has a combined 72 amps on the 12 volt rails (18A x 4) on a 750 watt unit. People are trying to say that you need a new PSU and that your Core i7 system is not powerful enough to get much of a boost from the upgrade. I hope you are seeking opinions in other forums instead of just this one.
http://www.dixcomputers.com/computer-parts/power-suppli...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 4:38:06 PM

^ so you solution is for him to pay $500 for a GTX580 instead??
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 5:04:08 PM

Um... an i7 860 isn't going to bottleneck much if at all - not below 60fps anyway.

OP: Your system can run it but like it's said, a PSU upgrade might be a good idea. A 750W PSU is enough per se, but only 20A per rail is kind of weak - although it does matter just what is connected to which rails. If the GPU is working from 2 rails then you should be ok in that regard.

As stated, the 580 isn't really much of an upgrade and IMO not worth the cost at all. It's too bad you find yourself having driver issues, I guess I'm lucky in that regard as I've had very few issues overall. I would have suggested you just get a second 5870 but I guess that's not something you want to do.
m
l
May 30, 2011 5:48:38 PM

I did consider getting a second 5870 and do crossfire, but as i said, i want to get back to Nvidia. I mightve just been unlucky, but ive had quite a few issues with ATI drivers. First i had the grey screen of death, then some other crahses, and then i had the 99% load bug. Ive had the card for a little over a year now, and ive had different issues for almost half ot that.

The whole CPU overclock is just something i might do later. For now, i just plan on getting the 580. Im still not quite sure if i should upgrade my PSU.
m
l
May 30, 2011 6:55:11 PM

krol146 said:
just tired of ATI, ive been having a lot of driver issues with them

That tends to make the ATI fans mad when people say this.

Corsair = Good

m
l
a c 1170 U Graphics card
May 30, 2011 9:02:45 PM

krol146 said:
I did consider getting a second 5870 and do crossfire, but as i said, i want to get back to Nvidia. I mightve just been unlucky, but ive had quite a few issues with ATI drivers. First i had the grey screen of death, then some other crahses, and then i had the 99% load bug. Ive had the card for a little over a year now, and ive had different issues for almost half ot that.

The whole CPU overclock is just something i might do later. For now, i just plan on getting the 580. Im still not quite sure if i should upgrade my PSU.

The answer is to try the upgraded video card first and if the 750 watt PSU is not enough, then upgrade the PSU. It doesn't make sense to upgrade the PSU first, when it could end up being a waste of money. In my book, if you can afford it, a 25% performance boost, plus an improved user experience, plus having a more future-proof and versatile video card are sufficient reasons to upgrade. Prices on the GTX 580 have been coming down lately and several very nice custom models have been released recently, like the MSI Lightning Extreme and Gigabyte Superoverclock, which would provide much more than just a 25% performance boost.
m
l
May 30, 2011 9:12:16 PM

17seconds said:
It doesn't make sense to upgrade the PSU first, when it could end up being a waste of money.
It is not a waste of money to avoid destroying the components of a computer. It avoids wasting money.
m
l
May 30, 2011 9:42:15 PM

DAMN DUDE, hold up on buying your gtx580 if you are. Asus just showed us the Asus Matrix Gtx580 with 19phase Vrm, it overclocks higher than the DCII version, it uses the same cooling tho. Also the Asus Mars 2, what a beast
m
l
a c 1170 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 2:04:21 AM

cyborg34572 said:
DAMN DUDE, hold up on buying your gtx580 if you are. Asus just showed us the Asus Matrix Gtx580 with 19phase Vrm, it overclocks higher than the DCII version, it uses the same cooling tho. Also the Asus Mars 2, what a beast

The Mars 2 is kind of interesting with two GTX 580 GPUs. The single GTX 580 Mars though is only clocked at 816 mhz with 1.5 gb RAM, versus the MSI Lightning Extreme at 832 mhz and 3gb of RAM and the Gigabyte SOC clocked at 855 mhz. These are all pretty expensive cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-580-light...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-580-...
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:11:31 AM

17seconds said:
The Mars 2 is kind of interesting with two GTX 580 GPUs. The single GTX 580 Mars though is only clocked at 816 mhz with 1.5 gb RAM, versus the MSI Lightning Extreme at 832 mhz and 3gb of RAM and the Gigabyte SOC clocked at 855 mhz. These are all pretty expensive cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-580-light...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-580-...

The ASUS Matrix gtx580 3gb card (single card) will actualy overclock higher than any gtx580 out there because they are now using 19 phase Vrm, more headroom for oc'ing, Also has some overclock safemode button i think, so you can oc to hell without worrying. Itl also release with asus's new utility for overclocking, this video card is mainly designd for extreme overclockers.

m
l