Best external DVD burner

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2005 12:52:19 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell510m notebook. The CDRW/DVD drive was wonky but Dell replaced
it asap when I complained about it. Amazing! They didnt give me any hassles.

I asked whether I could replace it with a DELL DVD burner- and pay the
difference+a little extra but they said no. They also quoted me $400
(US$300) to buy a new DELL DVD Burner.

It seemed a bit steep so I demurred. Which they had offered that option
though.

I need a DVD burner cos I burn quite a few "movies", I work in a property
firm, and I have to take video of properties/ construction work in progress,
burn it into a DVD and post them off to clients etc..

In my spare time, I download TV shows and burn them onto DVDs whenever I
have to go to overseas places like Kuwait or Australia etc..

I'm currently looking for a good reliable portable DVD burner. Anyhow care
to recommend one?

Its not so important, but, is there one out now that can also play
multiregional DVDs?

--
Regards,
Wilde

___________________________
Classic Humor
www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail117.html

More about : external dvd burner

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2005 12:52:20 PM

Wily Wilde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell510m notebook. The CDRW/DVD drive was wonky but Dell
> replaced it asap when I complained about it. Amazing! They didnt give
> me any hassles.
> I asked whether I could replace it with a DELL DVD burner- and pay the
> difference+a little extra but they said no. They also quoted me $400
> (US$300) to buy a new DELL DVD Burner.
>
> It seemed a bit steep so I demurred. Which they had offered that
> option though.
>
> I need a DVD burner cos I burn quite a few "movies", I work in a
> property firm, and I have to take video of properties/ construction
> work in progress, burn it into a DVD and post them off to clients
> etc..
> In my spare time, I download TV shows and burn them onto DVDs
> whenever I have to go to overseas places like Kuwait or Australia
> etc..
> I'm currently looking for a good reliable portable DVD burner. Anyhow
> care to recommend one?
>
> Its not so important, but, is there one out now that can also play
> multiregional DVDs?

www.newegg.com , www.zipzoomfly.com - NEC, Lighton, Plextor full size
drives have received good ratings, FWIW. Put one of these in an external
USB2 or Firewire enclosure if you don't care too much about the size and
weight. NEC 6500 series slimline drive and a slimline enclosure might
be better, but more expensive (and it might fit the laptop, also) Dunno
about region-free drives.

a b D Laptop
July 31, 2005 5:58:29 AM

Get a desktop 5.25" Pioneer "09" series DVD burner and put it into an
external USB 2 case. About $50 for the burner and $30 for the case.
The Pioneer is, in my opinion (and the opinion of a lot of other people
who use and service these heavily) the best optical drive currently in
production.

Wily Wilde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell510m notebook. The CDRW/DVD drive was wonky but Dell replaced
> it asap when I complained about it. Amazing! They didnt give me any hassles.
>
> I asked whether I could replace it with a DELL DVD burner- and pay the
> difference+a little extra but they said no. They also quoted me $400
> (US$300) to buy a new DELL DVD Burner.
>
> It seemed a bit steep so I demurred. Which they had offered that option
> though.
>
> I need a DVD burner cos I burn quite a few "movies", I work in a property
> firm, and I have to take video of properties/ construction work in progress,
> burn it into a DVD and post them off to clients etc..
>
> In my spare time, I download TV shows and burn them onto DVDs whenever I
> have to go to overseas places like Kuwait or Australia etc..
>
> I'm currently looking for a good reliable portable DVD burner. Anyhow care
> to recommend one?
>
> Its not so important, but, is there one out now that can also play
> multiregional DVDs?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 2, 2005 5:05:24 PM

"Wily Wilde" <wylywylde.remove100bullets@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
news:D ceg3j$h2t$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell510m notebook. The CDRW/DVD drive was wonky but Dell replaced
> it asap when I complained about it. Amazing! They didnt give me any
hassles.

> I asked whether I could replace it with a DELL DVD burner- and pay the
> difference+a little extra but they said no. They also quoted me $400
> (US$300) to buy a new DELL DVD Burner.
>
> It seemed a bit steep so I demurred. Which they had offered that option
> though.
>
> I need a DVD burner cos I burn quite a few "movies", I work in a property
> firm, and I have to take video of properties/ construction work in
progress,
> burn it into a DVD and post them off to clients etc..
>
> In my spare time, I download TV shows and burn them onto DVDs whenever I
> have to go to overseas places like Kuwait or Australia etc..
>
> I'm currently looking for a good reliable portable DVD burner. Anyhow care
> to recommend one?
>
> Its not so important, but, is there one out now that can also play
> multiregional DVDs?

Hows about any decent internal desktop DVD writer and one of these:

<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35057&C=Fr...
3>

The current all formats LG model is particularly reccomended and can be
found on the 'net for under £50.

Ian.
!