Antec KHULER H20 620 radiator orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello! My first post on this site. Would like to start out by saying I'm a huge fan of this forum, I've solved every question I have about building my new system but one just from browsing the threads on this site. Anywho, my question:

Can I mount the Antec KUHLER H20 620's radiator to the bottom of my case with the tubes extending up to my CPU?
My case is the Rosewill Cruiser ATX mid-sized case. It has 5 fans and is slightly elevated from the ground by a set of four rubber "legs". There's a spot that I filled on the bottom of my case next to the psu for a 120mm fan (one of the 5). Because of the way the case is designed I cannot put the kuhler's radiator on the exhaust fan in the rear of my chassis, sideways up and down it just won't fit. The only option I have is to use the bottom slot. The tubes will reach my CPU fine but my question is: will the pump work pumping the water up against gravity? Can the tubes be positioned to pump water down to the radiator an pull it back up to the CPU??

So far all I've seen is rear mounted Kuhler h20 radiators, cannot for the life of me find the answer to this.

Case: Rosewill Cruiser ATX
190mm side fan
120mm front, rear, bottom fans
140mm top fan

Solution

Hi I use an Antec H20 620 for cooling a Core i7 2600K at 4.4 Ghz without any problems. I did change the fan though to make it quieter. The fan has similar specs to the Antec one but is PWM plugged into my motherboard rather than the Antec unit. I get max temp of 55-60 degrees with games and idle temps of 35 degrees.

I have the H2O 620 mounted on the front of the case to pull air in as I read...

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Another thing to note: I plan on OCing my i5 2500K, hence the need for a diff heatsink. I'm also limited on space in this case due to the huge side fan so I can't use a lot of nicer air cooling heatsinks I've researched. The 620 is what I plan to buy but if you can think of a different low-profile alternative I'm all ears. My very first build!

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Intel i5 2500K
G. Skills Ripjaws 16gb ram (4x4gb)
EVGA nvidia 560ti 2gb
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
Western Digital Black 1tb HDD
Antec KUHLER H20 620 (<<debatable, have not purchased yet)

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

The heatsink you linked is a nice one but I am limited on space
Is it possible to install (edit) the radiator at the bottom of my case though? I have a bottom exhaust fan and plenty of airflow. Will it function normally at the bottom of my case?? Not under my case just mounted in a horizontal position on the bottom fan.

Edit: what is the "read side" :-/

gilpin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Hi I use an Antec H20 620 for cooling a Core i7 2600K at 4.4 Ghz without any problems. I did change the fan though to make it quieter. The fan has similar specs to the Antec one but is PWM plugged into my motherboard rather than the Antec unit. I get max temp of 55-60 degrees with games and idle temps of 35 degrees.

I have the H2O 620 mounted on the front of the case to pull air in as I read various reviews that demonstrated that you get better temps when pulling cool air through the radiator rather than pushing hot air out through the radiator. I have an Antec Performance One case.

You need to think about overall airflow. So for example you could position the H20 620 at the bottom of your case and pull cool air in as long as the hot air is exausted out of the case elsewhere (e.g. top or back). Alternatively you could pull hot air our of the bottom as long as there is cool air coming into the case elsewhere (e.g. the front or side of the case), which I believe is what you are wanting to do.

My case is so much less cluttered using the H20 620 compared to a standard HSF.

Give it a try and see how you get on. The 620 is very easy to fit.

Solution

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks for the quick response! So far I have the 120mm front fan set as an intake (front and bottom of the chasis) and the 190mm side fan also set as intake. The bottom, rear, and top fans are exhaust. I can flip the bottom fan around but I want it blowing the dust on the ground away from my computer :p. Thanks for the help I'll try it your way first, and when I figure out how to post pics I'll show you what I'm working with... This case is a trainwreck for space management.

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

140mm top exaust and 120mm rear exaust
image-2.jpg

120mm bottom fan (only one with space for the radiator)
image.jpg

120mm front intake fan
image-5.jpg

190mm side intake fan

jerryA111

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hey JoeBoxer I happen to have one of these cruiser cases my sister gave me, and Im thinking about moving all my parts from the 1st case into the Rosewill case, I also have the Antec Khuler 620, and I was thinking the same, but Heres an idea i came across, since I have 2 120mm fans on the radiator, i noticed that the top fan would hit, or "get in the way" of the radiators size, so what i happened to consider is actually putting the radiator against the rear fence with one 120mm fan on the inside, while connecting the other 120mm fan on the outside of the case, then id put a 120mm fan cover to protect anything from making contact with the blades, yea it will stick out the rear, but shouldnt be a problem, especially since its in the back of the case and it wont decrease performance in any way. Just a thought, seems the best way to go with this case.

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
That is a very clever idea! With all the airflow in the case it could be possible to place the radiator against the case in the back and place the fans around it! I think it would fit with the 140mm fan on top too! Wow... I'll try it out when my 620 comes next week and post some pics :)

joeboxr

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Jerry,
I tried it that way and two things happened.
One: It won't fit against the case for me no matter what I try. I have a 140mm fan on top and the space between the side of that fan and the back of the computer case is too narrow ;(.
Two: The mesh on the rear exaust fan is projects out a bit and therefore makes it impossible to not only mount a fan out there, but also a radiator.

I did however install the H20620 on the BOTTOM fan of my case. Had to nerf it a bit to fit my power supply but it is all in there and working fine. CPU is OC and running cool. Whole build looks great. Only thing im missing is my video card... 16gb of ram, i5 2500k OC, SSD, and a Radeon 2600 >.<

This case would be great for an external water cooling unit, the grommit's in the back are ideal for in / out tubes and there are screwholes for a radiator that could sit outside off of the back of the case or on top, spaced a bit. Going to be my future route when I upgrade ;)

I'll post some pics when I get my new video card =P this one is embarassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.