Sign in with
Your question

Power supply failure

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2011 12:37:29 AM

Well we all know it, you should never run a high-end video card on a non name brand power supply, at the time I built this computer last year, I never really looked into that fact.

Currently, I'm using my ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb DDR3 by Visiontek

Situation: I was running my XFX ATI Radeon 4890 1GB GDDR5 I bought about 3-5 months ago, I have always been worried about running it on a non name brand power supply, because as we know you should never cut corners with power supplies. Up till' about a week and a half ago, my computer randomly shut off and would not power up for about 4 hours, since then I have been dealing with it randomly turning off while playing high graphic games, or sometimes just idling in windows.

Before I had the 4890, I had the HD4850 which had ran perfectly on this power supply before, so I got my 4850 back from a close friend of mine as a trade, (also he gave me an additional 30$), I put it in my PC, and I'm still getting random shutdowns while just idling in windows or playing high graphic games.

Apon shutdown, this power supply is really heated up, so my desprite attempt of not buying another power supply has failed, I need some good recommendations on a good power supply, as choosing power supplies is really not my cup of tea.

I'm on a VERY tight budget, I got that 30$ being transfered to my paypal, and possibly getting another 20$ soon, so my current budget is set at 50$, browsing around on Newegg, I have found this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-182-...

It's 80 Plus certified and has a lot of positive feedback and good reviews.

My question is, would this be good enough for the HD4850?

(Side note: the HD4850 I'm using right now has the Zalman VF2000 cooler on it, irrelevant it was just a quick solution to solve the 4850's famous heating issue.)

[Edit] Woops, forgot to post my specs.

ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb GDDR3, fitted with the Zalman VF2000 cooler
250GB 7200RPM Maxtor HDD + 30GB IDE Maxtor 7200RPM HDD
AMD Phenom II x4 820 (clocked at stock, 2.8ghz)
Stock CPU cooler copper heatpipes
BlueStar Black mirror edition 650w PSU (no model information.)
x2 120mm fans, one blue LED other by raidmax
Biostar MCP6P M2+ AM2+/AM3 motherboard
2GB 667 DDR2 memory, I don't know the brand but I fit it with a blue copper heatsink.

More about : power supply failure

a c 1167 ) Power supply
May 30, 2011 3:22:29 AM

The Rosewill RG530-S12 should have no problem providing adequate power for the Radeon HD 4850 and the rest of your system.

For a single card Radeon HD 4850 system a 450 Watt or greater power supply with a +12V current rating of 27 Amps or greater and with at least one 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is recommended.

The Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC Power Supply with its ability to provide up to 41 Amps on its +12 Volt rail will do the job. I can't attest to the quality of the unit but I know that it's made by ATNG Power Co., Ltd.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 30, 2011 5:06:38 AM

a gerneral rule that I use is what the card recommends then go 2 steps up from that...I kept having power problems like you ...it seemed like the psu had to cool down then it would work for a bit again...then it finally blew takin my ram and mobo with it....so I went for the atx 750 and it has not failed me yet....and its a good name psu for around $100...way better than gettin ram mobo and a new card...lol
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 30, 2011 12:55:47 PM

You DEFINITELY don't need a 750. That psu should be fine.
m
l
May 30, 2011 9:17:07 PM

yes you might not NEED a 750...that was just MY example....Me PERSONALLY have had some bad things happen with "that psu SHOULD be fine" .....not taking anything away from kajabla and a good higher wattage psu will just mean later you wont have to look at upgrading that again for your rig...(unless somethin goes horribly wrong that is)and like I said for piece of mind for ME the $100 i spent was well worth it.
m
l
!