Galaxy GTS 450-No Display

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So, today I was fine and playing Starcraft 2. I had to go somewhere so i turned my computer off. When I got home and turned my computer on, my harddrive started to make some noise and there was no display on my monitor, but there was still sound. There is no display on my monitor but there is still sound and the fan on the graphics card is still spinning, right now I am using my integrated graphics card.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

1) What is the wattage on your power supply?
2) What brand is your power supply?
3) Are you using a battery back-up to condition power coming from the electrical socket?
4) What version of PCI Express does your motherboard use (1, 1.1, 2.0)?
5) What version of PCI Express does your video card use (1, 1.1, 2.0)?

Without more information it will be blind luck if anyone can help you.

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So sorry, forgot to input my info.
1)antec 430 earthwatts power supply
2)Antec 430 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023&Tpk=antec%20430w%20basiq
3)Sorry, but I don't know what that means.
4)2.0 PCI Express
5)2.0 PCi Express

My computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107195&cm_re=hp_m7640n-_-83-107-195-_-Product

Like I said early, I've been using this Graphics card for 2 weeks now. And I don't want to return it since my mom threw away the packaging. I asked my friend to buy this card so I can have his packaging materials.
Bought it off Newegg.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
A battery back-up system conditions the electrical power going to an appliance so that it always the correct voltage. This protects it from power fluctuations such as brown-outs and spikes. These are the culprits behind over half of all early deaths to appliances, including computers.

You say that "it is your PCI express slot". Do you mean your PCI express slot is damaged?

Have you made sure that the six pin connector on the video card is fully connected to the power supply?

Always register your video card with the manufacturer. Always.

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I tried my Graphics card on my dad's computer and it works fine. How do i check if my computer is detecting my graphics card? Also, I went into my BIOS and set the graphics from pci i to pci e

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Okay, when you completely disconnect the hard disk and then power up the computer with the video card in, do you get a picture coming from the video card?

And are you sure you have the six pin connected to the video card?

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Yes, I am 100% sure i have the 6 pin connected to the video card. I even tried the 2 sata-6 pin that came with the card and it still doesn't work. I even tried updating the BIOS. I don't know what else to do at this point. And also, when I disconnect the harddisk and try to boot up the computer no image pops up. And the noise was from my disc drive, not hard disk.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
You did not answer my first question. (I see you just updated your answer).

This time, disconnect all internal drives (hard disk and optical) and peripherals and remove all memory modules except one stick of memory.

Then boot up the computer and see if you get a picture.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
When you plug in the video card, have you tried plugging the monitor in to the on-board video port instead of the video card?

It would be interesting to see if you would get picture from the on-board video and then we could see through the windows device manager if it is even seeing the video card.

Also, have you tried laying the computer on it's side and starting it that way?

It sounds like either their is a contact problem, or the on-board video needs to be completely disabled.

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I dont have compress air, so i dusted it with a toothbrush. And no, since I dont have any other cards. I don't think it is because its not under display adapters. My computer has been on its side this whole time. I might be forced to do a format reinstall but I doubt it'll fix the problem

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Have you taken the BIOS battery out for 60 seconds?

Okay, so when you plugged in the video card and turned on the computer you were able to boot into windows and you were able to see device manager. In device manager you saw no display adapter other than the on-board video.

In the BIOS do you have the option to disable onboard video?

When you power up the computer does the fan on the video card spin or remain stationary?

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Let me clarify, I am currently using my integrated graphics card on my Motherboard. When I went into device manager, it displayed no adapter other than my nvdia 6500le, the on board one. And I don't think there is. If there is, I couldn't find it. The fan does move on my video card and i checked if it's plugged in correctly. Yawp, my computer isn't detecting the card, I went onto the nVidia website tried using the driver auto updater and it only detected my onbard. Also, I don't know but when its plugged into my graphics card it DOESN'T say to check the cable.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

What doesn't say to check the cable? Huh?

Anyway, it sounds like it is either the connection on the motherboard or the 12 volt rail on the power supply.

If you have not been using a battery backup, your computer could easily have been damaged by a brown-out or spike.

meitou

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
It works on my dads computer perfectly. What should I do? replace my mobo?
Also, is it possible to use my dad's mother board(with the cpu) and still use my frame, harddisk? So, I will be using my dad's motherboard with his cpu heat sink and all the cards and use my harddisk optical drive?

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Re-using the frame (ATX Case) depends on whether your frame is proprietary. Naturally, all of the drives will work.

Also, you really need to test a different video card in that case to make sure that is the problem.