Closed

FPS Drops in games

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Games
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2011 6:18:00 PM

Hi guys I need your help with something thats bugging me alot. I am a gamer and recently installed some new components... I installed a 1000w psu, radeon HD 6970 2gb GDDR5 and upgraded my ram from 4gb to 12gb @ 1666MHz clock speed. Before this I had radeon 5770, 4gb ram and a 500w psu and didn't experience this problem. I haven't replaced my motherboard (it's an ASUS M4A88T-M). Do you think its my motherboard not being able to handle the new hardware or something wrong with the clock speed? its not my graphics card simply having troubles with the games because when the fps drops from 200+fps to 25 fps for about 5 seconds then shoots back up to 200+ without moving a single step in the game, I knew I could rule this out. I've tried turning shaders off and messed around with in-game settings and im still getting the same problem.

Any idea?

More about : fps drops games

a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2011 6:51:41 PM

did you remember to uninstall fully all the old graphics card drivers and reinstall drivers for the new graphics card? is this during online gameplay by any chance?
August 3, 2011 7:01:08 PM

well in bad company 2 online and also dungeon siege 3 which is singleplayer
Happens in l4d2 aswell

its a fresh install of windows with my new card so... cant be old drivers interfering
Related resources
August 3, 2011 7:59:47 PM

From Asus web site : "4 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1866(O.C.)/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory"

Seems like 1666MHz is not supported (the didn't forget to add it, surely they omitted it for a reason). I'd try one of the stated frequencies.
August 3, 2011 11:43:20 PM

ssmurphss said:
From Asus web site : "4 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1866(O.C.)/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory"

Seems like 1666MHz is not supported (the didn't forget to add it, surely they omitted it for a reason). I'd try one of the stated frequencies.

In the bios there are no options to change ram frequency options. Is there another way to change the frequencies not through the bios?
August 4, 2011 12:26:09 AM

I ran a game in windowed mode and had task manager next to it and played until the drop happened to notice that the cpu usage was at 90% when it started to lag, up from around 50%... i've got an amd phenom IIx4 955 3.2GHz quad core... is it bottlenecking with my radeon 6970 do you think?

regards, Will
August 4, 2011 1:27:19 AM

Your BIOS most definitely has ram frequency settings; they may be buried. Try to look through everything. Look for things like DRAM Frequency, DRAM Timing, Latency, etc. You may only be able to select one option at first (Auto or Manual). Once you select Manual, more settings should be changeable. Make sure everythings setup right or your going to have stability issues sooner or later. If you still can't find anything, try googling your MB + BIOS + DRAM Frequency or something along those lines. If its hard to find or access, other people probably experienced the same (and found solution).

Your CPU usage could be that high depending on the game. CPU and video card shouldn't be slowing you down whatsoever. I'd make sure you don't have to do anything special in BIOS to configure the Phenom. Other than that...you got all the video and chipset drivers up to date?
August 4, 2011 1:42:57 AM

Quote:
The Phenom 955 is a great processor for the price and won't bottleneck a single 6970..

Well my lag seems to be caused by cpu usage going up to 80-ish percent, know what could cause this? I really don't think its my dram frequencies.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2011 2:46:45 AM

can one of the gentlemen explain how will the change in Ram Frequency will cause the drops of FPS ?
make sure you update your graphics card driver from AMD currently the latest version of CCC is 11.7
and see what is the name of the process that consume that huge usage of the CPU and indicate if you have an aftermarket cooler or just the stock fan ?
August 4, 2011 3:33:23 AM

ilysaml said:
can one of the gentlemen explain how will the change in Ram Frequency will cause the drops of FPS ?
make sure you update your graphics card driver from AMD currently the latest version of CCC is 11.7
and see what is the name of the process that consume that huge usage of the CPU and indicate if you have an aftermarket cooler or just the stock fan ?

Literally just the game i'm running that is using CPU power in task manager every other process has "00" next to it apart from the game at hand.. and that game if its quite graphically intensive (recent discovery) the cpu will raise to maybe 80% and lag my whole system... i've looking in event viewer and its nothing randomly stopping and starting. I've got the latest version of CCC and latest drivers installed.. However, this is maybe something that could hint you towards a problem. earlier on after I made this thread I launched left for dead 2 and steam notification popped up saying that steam cannot recognise my GPU and there was an "upload" button where I could upload my system spec to help steam with support or whatever, but the fact that steam randomly decided it couldn't pick up my GPU makes me ponder.

Also, i'm using the stock heatsink for my cpu and I have infact thought of the possibility of heat, however the fact that it recovers in 5 seconds and is fine for another few mins puts me off this theory.
August 4, 2011 4:03:34 AM

Quote:
For ATI when using steam, steam will automatically ask to update your Radeon graphics drivers to the newest version if one is ava when trying to launch l4d2. I get this msg every time.

Okay thanks :)  had me abit worried if i'm being completely honest lol didnt know what was happening
August 4, 2011 4:18:43 AM

Quote:
Yea when I first hooked up my 6950 a few weeks ago I was like ONOEs

After I updated the driver, I left the box unchecked and whenever I load l4d2 it asks me if I would like to continue anyways and if a new driver becomes ava it will make the box to the bottom left that says Driver Details (I think is what it says) and it will be clickable which will tell you a new driver is ready to be installed.

Clicking the box to not show that msg anymore isn't a great choice since its pretty much an early detection system :3

yeah I left it to show up everytime for troubleshooting reasons incase it was a problem, but usually I just click on "steam" in the top left and check for video driver updates in steams library page
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2011 4:51:12 AM

Chances are the cpu is being hit for other services , like say firewall or antivirus + windows itself and that causes the frame rate drops

But the really sad part is that the OP payed all that money for a card thats not doing a thing .
An LCD monitor refreshes at 60 Hz . Thats 60 times per second . Or identical to 60 FPS
It doesnt matter that your game is running at 200+ frames a second because those frames NEVER turn up in the image in front of you , and all the money you spent on the graphics card is totally wasted
August 4, 2011 5:10:45 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Chances are the cpu is being hit for other services , like say firewall or antivirus + windows itself and that causes the frame rate drops

But the really sad part is that the OP payed all that money for a card thats not doing a thing .
An LCD monitor refreshes at 60 Hz . Thats 60 times per second . Or identical to 60 FPS
It doesnt matter that your game is running at 200+ frames a second because those frames NEVER turn up in the image in front of you , and all the money you spent on the graphics card is totally wasted

I merely noted the frames I am able to get before the drop being 200+ so you can get the feel of how dramatic it is. I play with vsync on which means I only get 60fps capped anyways. I dont see money wasted as I went for a more future proof card. I intend to play battlefield 3 and regularly continue with high definition graphics design and video production. if the card wasn't good it wouldn't be expensive. its a damn good card apart from 1 issue at hand which im not even sure is an issue with the graphics card yet.

please don't jump to conclusions
August 4, 2011 7:11:17 AM

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was actully sticking up for everyone tht spends good money for a future proof machine when he said im sad spending money on a good card

im a gamer.. I also record n edit so I am always playin new games... I always will.. I even mentioned bad company 2 in my original post which is quite demanding so i've got a decent card so I dont hve to keep spending money on new cards all the time.

if I played just WoW and didnt have plans to play the oh so cool next gen games i'd game on my laptop which can run it with ease...

when I wrote about dropping from 200+ fps to 25 I took vsync off so I knew how badly it dropped so stop trying to "outplay" me on a forum post and show some respect im only on here for some help with my computer I never asked you for your opinions on whether you think a 6970 is worth the money or not

have some decency and once again, and I quote...

Please don't jump to conclusions...

if you're not going to help me don't post on my thread I don't think anyone cares if you help me or not theres plenty more, nicer, people who are willing to help me.
August 4, 2011 8:12:06 AM

Have you OCed the processor ? Try 3.8 GHz and compare.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2011 10:47:53 AM

werner123 said:
does this happens when only 4 gig of memory is installed? update your bios to the latest version, disable background processes, reload optimized settings in bios

listen it's not a RAM issue, IF everything else run great and smooth without a problem (BSOD) he is okay then... I run 1600 and 1866 without having a bottleneck issue but i always stick @ 1333 according to my Phenom specs
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2011 10:53:10 AM

sparkes4284 said:
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was actully sticking up for everyone tht spends good money for a future proof machine when he said im sad spending money on a good card

im a gamer.. I also record n edit so I am always playin new games... I always will.. I even mentioned bad company 2 in my original post which is quite demanding so i've got a decent card so I dont hve to keep spending money on new cards all the time.

if I played just WoW and didnt have plans to play the oh so cool next gen games i'd game on my laptop which can run it with ease...

when I wrote about dropping from 200+ fps to 25 I took vsync off so I knew how badly it dropped so stop trying to "outplay" me on a forum post and show some respect im only on here for some help with my computer I never asked you for your opinions on whether you think a 6970 is worth the money or not

have some decency and once again, and I quote...

Please don't jump to conclusions...

if you're not going to help me don't post on my thread I don't think anyone cares if you help me or not theres plenty more, nicer, people who are willing to help me.

HD 6970 is strong enough to handle any game out there @ the ultra settings and you didn't waste your money, but you should have wasted your money in getting an Aftermarket CPU Cooler :p 
run a game like Crysis 2 Dx11 and see what happens, you should get 35 FPS on the ultra settings and 60 FPS in Extreme settings
Do you use Fraps ? if you do try to upload a video on youtube and let us see what happens
BTW don't overclock your CPU, first of all you don't need to (you don't run a CF) secondly you have the stock cooler
August 4, 2011 11:17:38 AM

For OP:

Have you mentioned your gaming resolution (I failed to find one in this thread) ? And graphics settings ?

If your resolution is lower then it will put load on CPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2011 11:18:16 AM

Quote:
your cpu is the bottleneck.
when i had my 955 be with a single gtx 480 i had to oc to 3.6ghz minimum to avoid a bottleneck.
just a tip :) 

I've the 1055T @ stock 2.8 runs the HD 6950 great without any problem... HD 6970 is the same with different clocks and shaders
GTX 480 differs from both, and i still don't think that a 955 can't handle the GTX 480
in his situation, i guess there is an intensive process that eats a lot from his CPU
August 4, 2011 11:20:21 AM

how about we get back on track and try to fix his stuttering problem???

- Listen, if you want to troubleshoot this, please look closely through your bios, and figure out how to return that memory to it's default speed. If it's really at 1666, well that isn't even a default ddr3 speed... try setting it to 1333 and it's RATED specs.
- Did you install the proper motherboard drivers? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TM/#downl..., make sure you download and install the chipset drivers.
- If anything is overclocked in your system, put everything at stock default rated speeds.
- One thing you need to try, is to downclock your core and memory for your 6970 in Catalyst Control Center by 100 for each and see if the problem persists. Perhaps you have a bad 6970 that's not performing at rated speeds correctly?
- I know that in left 4 dead that "multicore rendering" enabled can cause stuttering like you described but you're having it in other games so that's probably not an issue.
- I have to ask, but latest ATI Drivers 11.7?
- What kind of power supply are you running? You said 1000w, is it a quality or generic piece of junk?
- You said you have 12gb RAM, you obviously have 4 sticks running? Try running with only 2, and then if that doesn't work try running with the other 2. Try this running at DEFAULT speeds, not 1666 if that's really what you're running at.
- if you open control panel, system, device manager, does anything have a question mark next to it?
- what background programs do you have running?
August 4, 2011 2:47:14 PM

Guys i'm downloading new mobo drivers now, i'll download and install them and change the ram speed to 1333 at the same time as kinda a package fix

Thanks for the help! I hope it works. also, i'll order this if the problem isn't fixed as i'm aware that I do actually need desperatly a new heatsink for my cpu with the rig ive got atm.

http://www.ebuyer.com/253477-arctic-cooling-freezer-13-...
August 4, 2011 2:51:28 PM

Quote:
That post of mine above your last one wasn't directed towards you, perhaps I should have put a +1 before I typed anything else :3

I was directing that comment to the outlander and his silly opinions.

The 6970 is a great choice and imo is worth the money. Add a 2nd one later to feel god-like nawmsayin?

Oh sorry I misunderstood :\ really sorry about that lol
August 4, 2011 3:36:58 PM

Okay update: I installed chipset drivers for mobo from the website and changed the mem voltages. suprisingly it wasn't at 1666mhz I thought it was, it was on 1152mhz and in the list in bios was "1440mhz" and "1732mhz" so I changed it to 1440 and it still happened. We now know its not the ram? or should I try amping it up to 1732mhz? thing is I don't wanna push it.
August 4, 2011 4:07:13 PM

You need to try everything I listed... And no, you don't know if it's the RAM yet. You still haven't tried it with just 4gb, or 8gb like I asked yet, you also need to run memtest for awhile on your memory as well.
August 4, 2011 5:05:36 PM

i've ran memtest before, no errors. sorry I forgot to mention.

also, latest drivers are installed, 1000w psu is from a good supplier, high rated psu, nothing in device manager outstanding and nothing is overclocked, i'll try taking 2 sticks out and keeping 2 in and playing something like bad company, i'll update you again soon
August 4, 2011 5:33:34 PM

Okay I just took 2 sticks out and started playing battlefield bad company 2, it still dropped in fps occasionally but I carried on played for abit longer and then I bluescreened! :\

heres the minidump if it means anything: http://www.mediafire.com/?0c15r9037pcvvdr

I don't understand why this has just happened :\
August 4, 2011 5:34:31 PM

Try the other 2 sticks now...
August 4, 2011 5:41:02 PM

ok ill update you again in abit
August 4, 2011 6:07:44 PM

Okay I took them 2 out and put the other 2 in and played bad company 2 again, same happened with the drops so I quit out to write this post and my whole system locks up and I have to force restart :\

the first 2 sticks of ram I tried when it bluescreened was corsair xms3 ddr3 2x4gb and the other 2 sticks were kingston ddr3 2x2gb (when the system locked up) so now im completely stumped...
August 4, 2011 6:18:22 PM

downclock your core/memory by 100 each for your 6970 in catalyst control center overdrive and try it again.
August 4, 2011 6:59:39 PM

okay now since i started taking out and putting in ram my computer has completely locked up twice :\ need to force restart, I think it might be faulty modules on my mobo or something that we haven't considered... its doing my nut in haha
August 5, 2011 1:25:55 AM

Are you sure that it's not temperature issue ? Try the extreme way. Play with side case opened and put fan control in CCC to always at 100%. See if something change.
August 5, 2011 5:47:34 AM

put the kingston modules aside, only use the corsair. look on the corsair site and find out what the default timings/speed/voltage are for the memory you have. then put that manually into the bios. those speeds you listed make absolutely no sense for ddr3 speeds... it should be either 1333 or 1600.

like the above said... update your motherboard bios before you do this to the latest version as well through the asus site.

please try running your 6970 downlclock with 100mhz less on the core and the memory and see if that fixes it. if it doesn't, run it like this with 100% fan speed like above said as well.

these are all basic things to try, and you still haven't tried them.

-
August 5, 2011 1:41:02 PM

Okay i'll try putting the fan to 100% first and running bad company 2... but ill minimize and check cpu temp aswell when I do it
August 5, 2011 3:27:55 PM

sparkes4284 said:
Okay i'll try putting the fan to 100% first and running bad company 2... but ill minimize and check cpu temp aswell when I do it

I seriously think you're going about this the wrong way. I would check the CPU settings in BIOS to make sure that the "Cool n Quiet" and "AMD LIVE!" options are disabled.

Also, make sure the CPU Optimizer driver is installed as well:

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?Lis...

I had an issue in the past with a Phenom X4 where the clock speeds would jump up and down because of the "Cool n Quiet" option was clocking the CPU up and down while gaming.

See if this helps, there's no reason to have to micro manage timings, clock speeds and fan speeds for get stable performance.

I on a personal note, I would frame lock my games @ 60 FPS to get a consistent performance without over taxing your system for no reason (200+ FPS is overkill)
August 5, 2011 5:11:20 PM

Do what he said, but also check on your memory, those speeds you listed aren't standard ddr3 speeds...

i recommend against frame locking with vsync in first person shooters, it creates input lag which can reduce your quickness.

if you want a battlefield bc2 pro tip, play without vsync, and all low in game settings. vsync lags you, and running with all low in game settings allows you to see as much as you possibly can, less foliage, etc... in your sights.

it does sound like a cpu speed throttling problem, if you're going down to 25 fps for 5 seconds and then back up to 200.

i had a 5870 with faulty ram that would crash at 1200mhz but would run fine at 1150. please don't dismiss that as an option to test...
August 5, 2011 10:04:51 PM

okay I can confirm its definatly not a heat problem. fan @ 100% and core temp at 50 degrees playing bad company on max settings. I think I might have to reinstall windows. I think it might be a process running but I dont know what it is... nothing in the processes tab indicates this though but its really ticking me off

with a reinstall fresh drivers and everything,

what do you think?
August 5, 2011 10:08:05 PM

I'll go disable CnQ and try again lol... back to post again in 20-ish mins, but tbh im not sure its even on at all
a b B Homebuilt system
August 5, 2011 10:09:05 PM

sparkes4284 said:
okay I can confirm its definatly not a heat problem. fan @ 100% and core temp at 50 degrees playing bad company on max settings. I think I might have to reinstall windows. I think it might be a process running but I dont know what it is... nothing in the processes tab indicates this though but its really ticking me off

with a reinstall fresh drivers and everything,

what do you think?

I think you can scan your system with Malwarebytes the best antimalware
August 5, 2011 10:13:19 PM

why don't you try the other 10 things we've listed for you to try as well...
August 5, 2011 10:31:31 PM

lmulder said:
why don't you try the other 10 things we've listed for you to try as well...

i've done EVERYTHING listed so far
August 5, 2011 10:33:05 PM

Disabled Cool and quiet and still getting the drops.. guys take notice that I didnt get this problem with my old gfx card, the 5770. I think I might try reinstalling my old gfx card to see if it still does it, if not then although people have speculated about my cpu bottlenecking... it might actually be bottlenecking my cpu from a more powerful card
August 5, 2011 10:36:56 PM

listen man, i've already suggested like 3 times to try lowering both the memory and core clock of your video card by 100 to see if that might be the problem. please read your entire thread and try everything listed already before coming back here. you're not really helping us help you if you know what i mean...
August 5, 2011 10:58:53 PM

lmulder i've already done it when you suggested it in your past posts about it.. it didn't work.
August 5, 2011 11:05:09 PM

another thing to try is control panel > system > device manager > disable the ati hdmi sound driver, that's been known to create conflicts.

i don't think that it's a cpu bottlenecking problem if it drops from 200 to 25, that's a huge difference.

if you run out of ideas, i would put the 5770 in and see if the problem persists, that way you can rule out the graphics card.

i would also run a good amount of hours on stress tests.... prime95, furmark, and video memory stress test.

if the 5770 works fine you could have a bad card. if it's the same problem you know it's not your problem.

i would save the format for last.

what sound card are you using?
August 6, 2011 3:34:56 AM

lmulder said:
another thing to try is control panel > system > device manager > disable the ati hdmi sound driver, that's been known to create conflicts.

i don't think that it's a cpu bottlenecking problem if it drops from 200 to 25, that's a huge difference.

if you run out of ideas, i would put the 5770 in and see if the problem persists, that way you can rule out the graphics card.

i would also run a good amount of hours on stress tests.... prime95, furmark, and video memory stress test.

if the 5770 works fine you could have a bad card. if it's the same problem you know it's not your problem.

i would save the format for last.

what sound card are you using?

Onboard sound (Asus m4a88t-m)

If the 5770 is fine, doesn't that mean there is also the probability that the GPU is bottlenecking the CPU as well as that probability of it being faulty? I know I keep mentioning it but its honestly on my mind because I really really hope that it isn't the case :< i've disabled the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" under sound in device manager, thats what you mean right? under that i've got "VIA high Definition Audio" which I believe came on my mobo disk. i'll try the game now and try my luck

EDIT: Didn't work by disabling it, i'll try swapping out the 6970 for the 5770 and trying again tomorrow its almost 5am at the minute I just want to go to sleep haha
August 7, 2011 4:25:29 AM

Okay guys tried the 5770, same thing is happening so we can rule out the gfx card being faulty/bottlenecking the cpu. it is not the graphics card that is causing the problems by what I can see. I am thinking its either the mobo or the CPU. not sure which though because remember when I was trying the RAM and I took some out and tried swapping it about abit and I bluescreened? however I know its not the ram because when I tried the other branded sticks my system completely locked up as I wrote in another post. so don't count the mobo out yet.
August 7, 2011 7:20:51 AM

So, what left are cpu, mobo, psu. for cpu i think no harm you try to overclock it. just to see if there is any change at all. mobo, i dunno, maybe check for any capacitor damaged or something like that. psu, have another to try ... ?
August 7, 2011 3:04:02 PM

Quote:
@sparkes5284

you said you tried 12gb ram.
are you trying to run triple channel memory?
are the sticks all the same brands?

no they aren't all the same brand but I tested 8gb of it all of the 8gb was corsair xms3 dual channel and still did it. I don't think its the ram
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!