Xeon Engineering Samples - fan monitoring/control

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Does anyone have experience of using Speedfan with a HP setup (limited access/locked BIOS etc.)?
I've just replaced the original E5405 with a Xeon Quad E5440, Intel Confidential, Q3HE ES.
Now the CPU fan runs at full speed and theres no way to control it in BIOS. I have read that ES CPU's are internally coded to run at full speed but then the next poster dismissed this as untrue, so I'm clueless at the mo. I've another one of these Xeons to install once the heatsink/fan arrives so the noise with 2 fans running flat out will drive me nuts - it's bad enough now with one.

I've installed Speedfan v4.44 and read a few tutorials but my displayed properties are different to those in the tutorials and I'm having no luck whatsover with this bloody fan. Even if someone tells me it definitely can't be done at least I will know where I'm at.

- HP xw6600 Workstation; Proprietary HP mobo/BIOS; Win 7 Ult. 64bit
- 1x Xeon Quad E5440, Intel Confidential, Q3HE ES

Let me know if any further info is required.

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Well I bought them (2) in good faith, and for hard cash - obviously without any prior knowledge of the link you directed me to, or the fact that they should not be sold. I assume that I am OK using them as they are already in my posession and paid for...?

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
And thanks for the info - I've just read a little more on these, maybe I should have done it before I bought them.

Well I don't think that we will be coming after you for ES processors this old. Now if they were product that hasnt been released yet, that would be something else.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
That's good news - can I come out of hiding now? :lol:

I don't suppose, being an Intel insider, you could give me any more info on these processors, or could find out more than I could myself? I reckon you must have access to much more info than any of us mere mortals...

Anyway, I think I've got a good setup hardware wise but with a few problematic areas regarding the ES fan control (or lack of) and the locked/limited HP BIOS functionality - BUT I'm determined to get it all running at it's best.

dumpystig

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Anyone else running a similar setup to mine?

HP xw6600 Workstation
Intel Quad E5440 @ 2.83GHz with stock HP heatsink/fan (2nd CPU and heatsink/fan to be added soon)
8 x 1GB RAM
ATI FireGL V7700 512MB
Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

I could do with some Speedfan data to make comparisons with my readings.

I've had some success with Speedfan and managing my CPU fan speed but it's going to take a lot of experimentation to get it all running correctly - there are 5 fans connected to the mobo, 6 when the second CPU is added.