Lost hard drive capacity

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,
Yes, hello. Due to a virus invasion my desktop PC had to have the 500GB hard disk drive reformatted. In then process, the machine was returned to me with lots of eliminated programs, etc but most distressing of all, the 500GB now shows only 128GB. Can you think what happened, and is it possible for me to regain the additional/original capacity? Thanks.

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Thank you for responding. Win XP Pro. SP3. Another contributor suggested that I look into Drive Management for Win 7 but inasmuch as I din't have 7 I looked and XP had it. In the end I was able to create a new partition and all my capacity is mow restored -- albeit on (now) Drive C AND Drive G (my next available letter). I am satisfied and thank all who replied. Excellent community!!

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Thanks but not the case. Original drive still in place, labeled 500GB.
Another contributor suggested that I look into Drive Management for Win 7 but inasmuch as I din't have 7 I looked and XP had it. In the end I was able to create a new partition and all my capacity is mow restored -- albeit on (now) Drive C AND Drive G (my next available letter). I am satisfied and thank all who replied. Excellent community!!

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Thank you. My thought, topo, but it turns out that when the virus doctore reformatted the drive he did not include SP3, which I had on it. I downloaded SP3 and then went to Drive Management. Piece of cake from that point onward: In the end I was able to create a new partition and all my capacity is now restored -- albeit on (now) Drive C AND Drive G (my next available letter). I am satisfied and thank all who replied. Excellent community!!

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Dear Folks,
My thread is not active now because your site's community did indeed help me to resolve my problem. I believe that I sent you a lengthy email about a week ago, explaining how that was achieved and expressing my appreciation to you for the site and also to all who responded. I am as pleased and satisfied as I can be. Check again and you will see that I assigned "Best Answer" to the responder, Thanks for following up.
-- Jack