Lost hard drive capacity

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,
Yes, hello. Due to a virus invasion my desktop PC had to have the 500GB hard disk drive reformatted. In then process, the machine was returned to me with lots of eliminated programs, etc but most distressing of all, the 500GB now shows only 128GB. Can you think what happened, and is it possible for me to regain the additional/original capacity? Thanks.

Solution
if you're running windows vista or 7 you can easily resize partitions into unused space adjacent to said partition without use of 3rd party software.

right click 'computer', select 'manage', click 'disk management', right click in your partition (typically c: drive), select 'extend volume', and follow the prompts (pretty much just click 'next' or 'ok' 3 or 4 times), voila - all 500gb back.
Partition magic or maxblast 5.0 might recover some space, but be careful using it. You might lose the rest of your files. Acronis designed maxblast 5, which works with seagate and maxtor drives. You may only be able to format the leftover partition, not use your old files on the entire space. I would first try to backup your files using windows 7 on a dvd, then you can format your old drive and reinstall your programs.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
if you're running windows vista or 7 you can easily resize partitions into unused space adjacent to said partition without use of 3rd party software.

right click 'computer', select 'manage', click 'disk management', right click in your partition (typically c: drive), select 'extend volume', and follow the prompts (pretty much just click 'next' or 'ok' 3 or 4 times), voila - all 500gb back.

Solution

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
This possible solution sounded so easy that I decided to try it, altho I am using Win XP with SP3. Whaddya know, the same parameters are there and it was a cinch to follow your instructions and creat a new partition. Un-be-bloody-lievable! I just KNEW those 300+ GBs didn't fly off into the ether, and now they are back. Thinking about it, having the second partition may be a more efficient way to manage the HDD anyway. So thank you Brandon. I just LOVE it when people are smarter than I am; that's how I learn stuff.

Jack79

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

This possible solution sounded so easy that I decided to try it, altho I am using Win XP with SP3. Whaddya know, the same parameters are there and it was a cinch to follow your instructions and creat a new partition. Un-be-bloody-lievable! I just KNEW those 300+ GBs didn't fly off into the ether, and now they are back. Thinking about it, having the second partition may be a more efficient way to manage the HDD anyway. So thank you Brandon. I just LOVE it when people are smarter than I am; that's how I learn stuff.