Sabertooth X79 : USB Bios Flashback

shawnsum

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys..suspecting all of my parts to arrive tomorrow, had a few questions regarding the "USB BIOS Flashback" feature on this board..

If anyone here has any knowledge about this I will reply again with what I was specifically wanting to know.

First, there might not be any reason to upgrade your BIOS. In fact newer doesn't mean 'better' and the only reasons to update your BIOS are as follows:

1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability.

Also, ASUS has made the transition from (.ROM) to (.CAP) requiring their 'BIOS Converter utility' which is for Windows 8; more information see this PDF - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-DELUXE/BIOS_Converter_User_Guide_for_X79_series.pdf

As far as updating the (.ROM) with either ASUS USB Flashback or EZ Flash 2 I always begin with a bootable FAT 32 Flash Drive:

Open and run CMD as Administrator.
Type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your USB drive in the list), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Create Partition Primary, press Enter.
Type Active, press Enter.
Type Format Quick FS=FAT32, press Enter.
Type Assign, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.

Preparation, download the (.ROM) file, extract from (.ZIP) and rename to -- SABERX79.ROM then copy to the Flash Drive. Make sure the PC is off, PSU is plugged-in (standby power) and at minimum the 24-pin main is connected to the MOBO from the PSU, connect the Flash Drive to the White USB port and press the USB BIOS Flashback button. The button will start to blink within ~5 seconds and the process takes 2~3 minutes.

More information see - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Currently, I see no reason to convert from (.ROM) to (.CAP) with anything but Windows 8.

vsighi

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Hi guys. I also want to know about the Sabertooth x79...why is my BIOS led FLUSHING BLUE on the back of my mobo !! It was like this since I build my PC...funny is that I don't need ant BIOS update...my system is working fine for 2 full weeks now with the factory BIOS uploded :)
I did try to reset the PC buy unpluging the power supply for 5 min but nothing!!
Also I called ASUS but that guy I was talkting to did not now much anyway :-/