Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte P55a-ud - 16GB of RAM, 8 Usable ?

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • RAM
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2012 11:46:23 PM

Hi all,

I'm running a Gigabyte P55a-ud mobo with the latest BIOS, and just updated my RAM from 4GB (2x2), to 16GB (4x4), and when I check system properties Windows pings back 16GB, but only 8GB usable. I searched and searched for solutions, and have tried everything, but to no avail. I've checked msconfig and made sure the box for "Maximum memory" was unchecked, and also made sure the memory settings from the BIOS were correct for frequency, etc and everything is good. For those interested, I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Does anyone have any tips and/or suggestions they could offer?

Thanks in advance.

More about : gigabyte p55a 16gb ram usable

a c 1386 V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 12:04:58 AM

Run msconfig, then navigate to the boot tab and click advanced options there will be a maximum memory box it should be unchecked.
m
l
July 31, 2012 12:36:51 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Run msconfig, then navigate to the boot tab and click advanced options there will be a maximum memory box it should be unchecked.

Hey there, but I mentioned in the original post that I did just that, and the setting was already unchecked. Any other suggestions?
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
August 1, 2012 12:22:39 PM

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as it is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

m
l
!