new oem modem

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
okay i get this new hardware modem. us rob. 2977 and it doesn't come with any drivers. so i browse around and find them. my problem is when i insert the card and boot it up, the o/s says it's looking for the drivers for a pci serial port. some have said this is an incorrect message because the o/s doesn't recognize the card correctly. fine, so i delete all the modems from my system and try to install a new one but it won't take the drivers that i've downloaded.

my question is what are the steps that i should be going through to install this thing. i really want to see if there's an improvement over my stupid HCF winmodem.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
alot of those cheapy modems dont uninstall correctly and leave inf files in your local machine registry, they can be a real bi*** to get out too. Did you un the uninstall routine that came with the modem or just remove it in device manager? Ae you sure you have the right drivers? Look at the chip set of the modem and try driverguide.com. Also let lt it get past the new hardware found wizard on boot and when done go into device manager and manually install the driver you feel is correct. It will tell you the driver is not correct but install it anyways and give it a shot.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks, i went to driverguide.com and got different drivers that i was looking for and they worked.
first i went to the add/remove programs and disabled the communications check box. then i removed the modem from the control panel. i unzipped the driver files and rebooted installing the new modem in between and when the prompt came up asking for the pci serial controller i directed it to the files unzipped on the hard drive.

i guess i just needed to find the right files.

TRENDING THREADS