How to get an open PCI-E x1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
So I am about to purchase a product that requires a PCI-E x1 port. I have one open, but is covered by my GPU. I was just wondering if there is a way that I can add a PCI-E port to my computer. Another option I am looking at is to get rid of the WLAN card that occupies the second PCI-E x1 port and then buy another WLAN card for PCI.

So as a recap, is there a way to get an extra PCI-E x1 port on my computer, or would it be cheaper to just replace my PCI-E x1 WLAN card for a PCI WLAN card?

CPU: Intel Core i7-870
RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM, generic brand that came with my Dell Studio 8100.
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0T568R
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
PSU: Generic 600w Power Supply that cam with computer
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB 7200 RPM

Solution
If it was important/must have product, u may better go with replacing WLAN with usb/pci one..

it more easier than change the mobo/gpu.......... (the other way for free the slot)

edit: pci-ex x1 card will run fine in x4 / x8 / x16 pci-ex slot.... if it still had other slot u may wanna use that...

just checked your mobo pic..., it lack of other pci-ex.... :sweat:

rdc85

Honorable
If it was important/must have product, u may better go with replacing WLAN with usb/pci one..

it more easier than change the mobo/gpu.......... (the other way for free the slot)

edit: pci-ex x1 card will run fine in x4 / x8 / x16 pci-ex slot.... if it still had other slot u may wanna use that...

just checked your mobo pic..., it lack of other pci-ex.... :sweat:

Solution

bogo663

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

I think that I will just get a WLAN PCI card. I found one for $25 that has 3 antennas and up to 300 mbs down, better than the one I have.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I myself decided to take out my Wireless network card to make the inside look cleaner, and have been using an ASUS USB-N53 wireless adapter (USB) for a while now.
Having my desktop facing the wall, the internal wireless suffered from high amounts of electronic interference causing extra latency during gaming, this was in the range of 7-15ms added on, but none the less it added latency.

Using the ASUS USB on the FRONT of my computer, I can use the 5Ghz band, and have MUCH better signal.

Just a little extra to consider, you may get even better signal from using an external USB based solution.

One, like this one. Best I've had and still have.

I wouldn't get any PCI wireless card anymore. Get instead USB, it has more power, faster reconnecting times and longer distance coverage.

I have Amped Wireless UA600 and after I got rid off my Linksys PCI card for this, What a difference that is. (I had this one and 2 others ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342)

No more disconnections, PCI device slows down the boot time too. When I start the PC, type the password, and click on tom's HW shortcut, it is displayed in a second!

With that PCI (had 2 more to try) it started to connect after log in and it took few seconds.

Love it! My wife's iPad has about 6 networks to connect, I have about 40!

Linksys had about dozen.

Also this USB has 2 USB connections, for better strength, as it supply more power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833281002
ua600_image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.