Sign in with
Your question

Asus P9X79 Pro random stuttering problem.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2012 6:20:06 AM

Hello,
I have a P9X79 with a 3930K, 4 x 4gb Crucial Elite 1866Mhz 1.5V ram. Corsair TX750 PSU

So the problem is that the computer seems to freeze and then the video and sound become very choppy for .5-1 second, then everything resumes back to normal. This happens about once or twice every 30 minutes.

I was wondering what could be causing this and how i can fix it.

Other things i've noticed is when it stutters the system voltage readings recorded on HWmonitor is all .01, all temperatures spike and fan speeds read at turbine level rpm's.

The stutters also do not happen when i'm running Prime95 so i can't tell if its a processing problem that way. I stressed tested for 72 hours and no stutter.

Any help or info someone might have would really help.
Thank you.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 7:04:21 AM

If it's only happening when the system is idle it sounds like it's possibly a firmware issue related to speed step.

Update to the new 2002 firmware (it's not as simple as a traditional firmware update, it's a bit different) and see if that helps. If not, turn off EIST
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:02:50 AM

Oh i did think that could be the problem so i turned off speed step and have a constant frequency and Voltage, but still happens. I am also already on the newest 2002 bios update.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 8:19:40 AM

what kind of storage devices do you have? Does this happen during gaming?
m
l
July 31, 2012 9:06:01 AM

I am currently using 2 500gb seagate barracuda's sata 3.0GB/s
They are not in raid although quite old and used to be in raid 0 in my old system.
and it happens randomly with no regard to what i am doing other than when i have prime 95 stress testing it does not happen.
So gaming, surfing the web, listening to music.
The easiest way to detect it is when the music stutters and slows down.
Thank you for helping.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 9:19:51 AM

Sounds like a driver issue. Someone posted here about a week ago noticing latency spikes in his USB 2.0 drivers. Try disconnecting whatever you can and hook the rest up to USB 3.0
m
l
August 1, 2012 8:03:00 PM

Errr... wow... i think that actually fixed it :D 
I'll do some more testing to make sure and update here for other people.
Weird how USB 2.0 latency spike can cause the video and sound to also spike?

Thanks a lot for your help.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 2:30:42 AM

DarkMacko said:
Errr... wow... i think that actually fixed it :D 
I'll do some more testing to make sure and update here for other people.
Weird how USB 2.0 latency spike can cause the video and sound to also spike?

Thanks a lot for your help.

ya latency in the kernel is very bad. I'm surprised though because all of those USB 2.0 ports are on the X79 chipset, not some dumb addin chip like the 3.0 ports. Did you install the Intel chipset drivers? Windows 7 doesn't have full native support for the X79
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:19:04 AM

It seems as though it did not fix it :(  .
Any errors from the video card won't cause the computer to stutter this way will it?
My video card is quite old and its possible that it is on its way out because it had crashed 2 times in the past 8 months.

I've also tried decreasing the RAM frequency to 1600Mhz so it matches Intel's specs, that didn't do anything to help.

Also i did have the intel chipset drivers and everything installed.

Thank you
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 6, 2012 4:54:09 AM

DarkMacko said:
It seems as though it did not fix it :(  .
Any errors from the video card won't cause the computer to stutter this way will it?
My video card is quite old and its possible that it is on its way out because it had crashed 2 times in the past 8 months.

I've also tried decreasing the RAM frequency to 1600Mhz so it matches Intel's specs, that didn't do anything to help.

Also i did have the intel chipset drivers and everything installed.

Thank you

Problems with the video card absolutely could cause those problems
m
l
!