AsRock Z77 Pro3

Cookie Monster

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hiya!

I just bought the mobo mentioned above, read through the manual a bit and found out that it supports CrossfireX, but not SLI... Thus it brought me to wonder - what'd happen if I were to put say two 560 Ti's in there and SLI them, would it only detect one?

I'm not a big fan of SLI as I think it has more disadvantages than advantages, there are quite a few cards out there(690 for example) that are more powerful on their own rather than SLI'ing two... aging cards. This is more of theoretical question. Thanks!

I think you would be able to use the second 560 Ti (in that hypothetical situation) as a PhysX card, but no, you could never SLI them. As far as I'm aware, Nvidia's drivers won't allow you to enable SLI unless both cards are in at least a x8 speed slot (that board is x16, x4).

Cookie Monster

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for your response.

It actually has 2 regular PCI slots, one PCI-E 3.0 x16, one PCI-E 2.0 x16 and one PCI-E 2.0 x1 slot. One other interesting thing I discovered is that on the VirtuMVP sheet they give you, it says "*Dual GPU graphics cards, CrossFireX and SLI are not supported". Unless that's a the same sheet they include with every Z77 mobo they make(because some of their boards do support SLI aside from CrossFire), it's either a typo or someone has just been lazy. :kaola:

Edit - you were right, according to the trusty manual, it runs in x16/x4 indeed if you're running in CrossFire regardless of the ports. Case closed I think, thanks for the help!