Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bulldozer vs sandy bridge performance

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2011 12:11:06 AM

Hello, I was looking at the maxed out 2nd gen processors and wondering (for cost savings):

- how is REAL WORLD multitasking performance? I don't want some AMD or Intel video, or some video where the system was tweaked to get max performance. I am not planning to overclock.

the kinds of things I am going to be doing (possibly in parallel) are:
- compiling programs (software development), usually up to 4 jobs in parallel
- spreadsheet and other office stuff
- Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection
- web browsing with 40+ tabs
- email
- database, ftp, web servers
- antivirus
- multithreaded file compression/decompression
- video encoding
- music
- playing video
- burn media
- write floppies (seems to be very low-cpu usage)

I typically have about 27+ cmd shells running for various things.

ability to address as much memory as possible is important.

with all the AMD noise lately I am having a hard time making a GOOD decision between a bulldozer and a sandy bridge or ivy bridge (I wasn't too impressed with the "multitasking" of the demo intel gave of the ivy bridge). I could really use smooth multitasking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPH1Xz1y9H8&feature=auto...

it's going to be at least a year before I can get a machine and it's got to last me for about 7+ years.
November 2, 2011 12:14:53 AM

jmichae3 said:
Hello, I was looking at the maxed out 2nd gen processors and wondering (for cost savings):

- how is REAL WORLD multitasking performance? I don't want some AMD or Intel video, or some video where the system was tweaked to get max performance. I am not planning to overclock.

the kinds of things I am going to be doing (possibly in parallel) are:
- compiling programs (software development), usually up to 4 jobs in parallel
- spreadsheet and other office stuff
- Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection
- web browsing with 40+ tabs
- email
- database, ftp, web servers
- antivirus
- multithreaded file compression/decompression
- video encoding
- music
- playing video
- burn media
- write floppies (seems to be very low-cpu usage)

I typically have about 27+ cmd shells running for various things.

ability to address as much memory as possible is important.

with all the AMD noise lately I am having a hard time making a GOOD decision between a bulldozer and a sandy bridge or ivy bridge (I wasn't too impressed with the "multitasking" of the demo intel gave of the ivy bridge). I could really use smooth multitasking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPH1Xz1y9H8&feature=auto...

it's going to be at least a year before I can get a machine and it's got to last me for about 7+ years.

If its going to be a year before you buy, why are you asking now? A year from now the comp scene will be very different
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 12:31:33 AM

evga sr2...... twin 1366 cpu's

go big or go home......

if you need to do THAT much stuff.....
m
l

Best solution

November 2, 2011 12:40:26 AM

If you're buying a year from now, things will change a lot.
a c 88 à CPUs
November 2, 2011 1:14:51 AM

you should be looking at server processors like the Opteron or Xeon. For all that you should even consider multiple computers. One for all the server/compiling stuff, one for you general applications.
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:16:05 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a joke to me...
And your area of work for all this at once is....

yeh, he's gonna buy in a year and the comp has to last 7 years. write floppies! :pt1cable:  :lol: 
m
l
November 11, 2011 4:04:50 AM

Homeboy2 said:
yeh, he's gonna buy in a year and the comp has to last 7 years. write floppies! :pt1cable:  :lol: 

floppies are required in my process at this time to make a bootable OS cd for some applications I am doing until I can find a way to make a bootable hard disk image from scratch with a boot sector and a file tree in windows. you may laugh at floppies, but when it's the easiest way to do things, I use it. this is my main machine. I do just about everything on it. I know I can't afford a workstation as much as I would like one (and I am not about to do liquid cooling).

I wish the bigwigs hadn't decided to limit the processors to only 32GB of RAM. 48 or 64 would be nice. I work with photoshop editing panoramas sometimes. you know what really gets me? the workstations are now limited to 32GB of RAM. photoshop will break for sure handling some of the pictures I want to edit. it's unfortunately a very memory intensive program - it usually ignores the terabytes of scratch disk space you give it.

this is both a work and home machine.

unless some company like syba or rosewill or lacie comes out with a floppy controller card, my chances of continuing to work with floppies is very slim indeed. the industrial market uses floppies and so do sewing machines of some types I hear, so floppies are not dead. mobo makers have dropped the floppy altogether in new designs. so I am stuck for the time being - current usb floppy drives are only good for being shredded to make cement.

lacie used to make what looked like a really decent usb floppy drive and took it off the market. I would like to see them make it again.

I think you are right, I should wait until I am ready to buy.

but I am sure people are wondering about these two procs' performance anyway. now the i7-2700k has just come out and is purchasable on newegg.com and clocks in at 3.5GHz (3.9GHz turbo). AMD put out a couple of laptop proc comparison videos claiming how great the bulldozer compared in multitasking smoothness and parallel ability compared to the sandy bridge. they showed stoppage of the sandy bridge during I wonder how the stakes are now...

this doesn't help me too much, because I am looking for a desktop - desktop procs don't get cores shutdown in order to just save power (not that I know of). the only reason cores get shutdown in a desktop proc is if they are *not being used* and thus save on thermal and power.

oh well, the comparison information is not really required anymore. I just figured that procs don't change much over time. maybe I am wrong now. I would like to see a 30-core desktop processor. (and yes, I mean that).

my business is computer services. software development at some point, web design, and computer repair. I don't think I am allowed to put my business web site address here, so I won't.
m
l
November 11, 2011 5:03:01 AM

Best answer selected by jmichae3.
m
l
!