Sign in with
Your question

Do I need an NIC?

Last response: in Components
November 2, 2011 12:50:13 AM

So, I've got this gaming rig that's well built and I like to play online games on it. Only problem is that my internet connection is only 80 kb/s (yes you red that right), although more often than not it is about 50-60 kb/s. So, would an NIC help this? I'm not familiar with how they work and why you would need them, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

More about : nic

November 2, 2011 12:51:54 AM

What motherboard do you have?

What's a NIC?
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:55:56 AM

purple stank said:
What motherboard do you have?

What's a NIC?

I have a Gigabye GA-Z68A-D3H-B3.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 1:00:22 AM

So your problem is that you have a poor internet connection?

What internet speed do you have?

That motherboard is capable of 1000Mbps so it's not the motherboard at all to blame.
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:08:29 AM

purple stank said:
So your problem is that you have a poor internet connection?

What internet speed do you have?

That motherboard is capable of 1000Mbps so it's not the motherboard at all to blame.

Yes, my internet is the problem, which an NIC can't fix, I guess. :( 
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:10:44 AM

no, nic cant fix your internet. Maybe a new ADSL router, but it could just be the speed of the connection itself. call your internet company to find out.
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:14:47 AM

what online games do you want to play? If you just want to play DoTA then your speed connection is enough to play that game without problem...
Just like the other says above, it's your internet connection and not your motherboard's fault... :) 
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:24:12 AM

Even the really old routers were capable of at least 10mbps which is still a lot more than what the OP is getting now.It's most likely the internet connection.

Go to pingtest.net, run a quick test and post your results.
m
l
!