Status
Not open for further replies.

alblue

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Im looking to sli my gtx 460, in need of more performence.
From my understanding the cards need to be the same in order to sli.
I currently have a Evga superclocked gtx 460. Could i sli that card with the SE version?
Could I get a different brand such as MSI and still be able to sli?

Solution
Quote:

Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards is one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
No. For example, an XXXGT...
From what I understand, yes you can, but the lower clocked version will rule over the superclocked one (if u pair it with the SE, the SE clocks will be used on the other). If you can, get the exact same one, if not, the closest in type and clock speeds (VRAM speeds being the most important IMO). Also, the amount of VRAM used will be from the lower one; that last statement I'm not sure of, though :p

Cheers!

You can't SLi a 1GB 460 with a 768MB 460 because of the difference in memory bandwidth, so what makes you think an SE version will SLi with anything other than another SE?

You can always operate with lower clocks/volt on the bigger one. Make it VRAM, GPU or shaders. The amount though, not sure. You can always map less memory, but not more and all that.

That's what AMD does, anyway... I think the Virtu Software also does it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Did you mean "bit lanes" with the bandwidth comment? If that's so, have no idea what happens there xD

These are not AMD GPU's so it's no good viewing them as such. And this wouldn't be the first time that certain GPU's did not SLi even though some might like to think they would, your suggestions listed above would not and did not work in those cases.

Ok, MM; I stand corrected then.

So then the safe option is to get the same card... At least, with the same "bit wide" VRAM, correct?

Cheers!

Quote:

Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Using 180 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA graphics cards from different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer ABC can be matched with a GeForce XXXGT from manufacturer XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards is one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce XXXX GTX that is overclocked can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce XXXX GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration.

Source: http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c19

I think that's a reliable source, lol.

Cheers!

Solution

It's also a very outdated source as the cards mentioned are 6 and 7 series IIRC, like the faq on THGF Nvidia haven't updated theirs in quite some time. For starters some 1GB cards can be run in SLi with their 512 counterparts and some can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.